• Show
Clear All
  • Snyper708
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2018

Powdered Eggs

Does anyone stock up on them?
    Are they any good?
    I like real eggs myself but maybe someone knows about powdered?
  • Sourdough
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2011

I have two cases of them. They are in cans, #10 size cans. They are best of used in baking or cooking things like "Meatloaf". They are eatable as scrambled, but just taste wonky. I guess you could mix them 50-50 with real eggs for scrambling.........might taste goooooder.
    One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

• GrizzlyetteAdams
      Banned
      • Aug 2018

I have powdered eggs but reserve it only for adding to other recipes, never by itself.

Comment

• Murphy
        Valued Member
        • May 2018

They're fine.. Not exactly a fresh egg from a chicken, but good enough. The secret to using them as normal eggs is to make sure you mix in the right amount of water and that the egg powder is totally dissolved into it.

Powdered eggs are a bit hydrophobic.. sort of like trying to mix hot coco powder into cold water.. You really need to put some elbow grease into getting them totally mixed.

Comment

• RICHFL
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2011

I have chickens they lay eggs I eat eats!! Enough

Comment

• SonofLiberty
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2018

I detest them and would only eat them in cases of near starvation. GA has a good idea of adding them to other recipes though. That might workout ok.

Comment

• Applejack
              Valued Member
              • May 2012

I only use powdered eggs in baking, But there is another type called crystallized eggs. These taste a lot like fresh eggs. They are great scrambled. I have both as I save the crystallized eggs for breafast and only use the powdered eggs for baking. If you go to some of the long term sites they should have the ones called crystallized eggs. I think also they have whole crystallized eggs as well.

Comment

• ZAGran
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2012

I like powdered eggs. I first had them the summer I graduated high school (1961) and went straight into my first collage courses. They had a slightly sweet taste and were quite fluffy because the dorm cooks used an industrial mixer to re-hydrate them. My only complaint was that they would drop an egg shell or two into them just before frying them up. This was to convince us students that they were fresh. We all knew they were not. By the time I transferred the student council had convinced them to stop this subterfuge because they also offered fried fresh eggs on Friday mornings and weekends and you could get your egg fix then. The shells were disliked much more than the powdered eggs.
                I do keep them and use them (when time to rotate them out) in anything that calls for a whole egg to be mixed in, Cookies, cakes, meat balls, meat loaf, french toast, anything. And on occasion I will use my old hand cranked hand mixer to make myself a scrambled sandwich when I feel nostalgic.

Comment

• GrizzlyetteAdams
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2018

I mainly bought powdered eggs as an ingredient in some of my homemade dehydrated "MRE" heat-n-eat complete meals.

(I will be happy to dig up a recipe for this thread in the next few days.)

Comment

• Morgan101
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2012

Sourdough: What is the shelf life on your #10 cans?
                    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

• Sourdough
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
                      Sourdough: What is the shelf life on your #10 cans?
                      Sorry.........I don't know. And they are NOT anyplace handy to check. They are cached in one of my many caches. Working off the unreliable memory of an old man I think the brand name was "Harvest" (something).
                      One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

• Sourdough
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2011

This might help............https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms...=1539961518056

They show 10 years.

Comment

• Morgan101
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2012

Thanks. I did look up the Augason Farms which had a 10 year shelf life. I would imagine other brands would be similar.
                          The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Working...
                          X