Recession coming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recession coming

I know Cedar hasn't been on here in a long while. She has been very busy with her house she is building and greenhouses as well as her bee hives among other things she is doing. She is the jack of all trades. She texted me awhile ago that a recession is coming. She has several news places she goes to to keep up on these things as she used to be a news reporter or writer for newspaper in I think she said Canada. I know the gas prices are getting ready to jump one because of tax increases. The other because of oil prices. So this means yes a recession will be on the way. So I think in a couple days I am going to start shopping for meats as I need to can some more of chicken and beef. Going to pull out a boston butt from freezer as I bought 3 of them and only canned one with ZAGran's reciepe. That was really good. This next one I am going to use hubby's ving.. based BB Sauce. I am not worried about a recession for us as we have plenty of food to hold us over. But I have heard it said that clothing, shoes, etc are also going up in price. Will just have to see how things go. My only concern is I also buy for our food ministry that I am a big part of. So I am going to hit Aldis and Ledil's for canned food to take to our food ministry. With Thanksgiving and Christmas we give out a great deal of canned goods as well as meats, bread and fresh produce from food bank. We work though to feed our hungry from this side of the river.

That reminds me I have two back quarter legs from a deer last year I need to smoke! I then I think I will can them for long term storage.

Comment

RichFl. Do I smell barbecue in the making? I got a notice that Panhandle and Big Bend in Florida has been declared a state of emergency. Rich be careful out there. I know you are from Florida but don't know where, so just stay safe.

Comment

Has anyone noticed the stock market is dropping. What could that mean for us if it keeps dropping?

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
          Has anyone noticed the stock market is dropping. What could that mean for us if it keeps dropping?
          If your fully or nearly fully prepared........it means zero. Otherwise.......it could be a semi-early warning of a spit storm coming.

For many decades I was obsessed with "Early- Warnings"......But at some point I finally realized that just does not matter.

One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

My only worry is interest rates going up right when I am ready to buy property. Just means that I will have to be careful of how much I spend on that property and possibility of not getting the akerege I want. I am looking to get maybe 50 to 100 akers

Comment

Interest rate will go up.........there is no other option.
              Last edited by Sourdough; 10-10-2018, 11:45 PM.
              One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

AJ: the Stock Market always has what they call corrections; times when it drops. This market has been due for a correction. Historically the market was very low in '94 and peaked in 2000. It "corrected" again in 2003 (low) and peaked in 2007. Big drop then, which we all remember, and stayed low until 2009. It has been rising ever since, but I have been hearing that this correction is due. Probably not catastrophic; just a downturn. Stocks will peak, and people will sell to profit. All of the selling will cause a downturn. I wouldn't be to concerned about it.
                The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Morgan I am not concerned though I do have a friend that seems to be. The stock market won't effect me one way or the other. Just wondering what to tell my friend and I think you answered that for me. I believe she is concerned of a resession or inflation happening. Though prices are going to rise do to tarriffs. I am not concerned at this point.

Comment

Morgan I am not concerned though I do have a friend that seems to be. The stock market won't effect me one way or the other. Just wondering what to tell my friend and I think you answered that for me. I believe she is concerned of a resession or inflation happening. Though prices are going to rise do to tarriffs. I am not concerned at this point.
                    Tell your friend "If they don't have the "Stomach" to be in the securities market, and weather a 20% and maybe even 30% drop, They do not belong in the securities markets". The "Plunge Protection Team" is the only buyer right now, purchasing securities with Tax Payer's Money, to falsely boost the markets, and protect themselves and their wealthy friends. The whole "Securities Market" is a total scam, at this point. Maybe "Illusion" is a better choice of words then Scam. Note: I had a Securities License (Stockbroker) back in the 70's and 80's.

Now the market is totally over inflated, because of Corporate "Buyback" of their own stock. If they passed a law (Which they will NOT ever pass) making the Buy'Back of corporate stock illegal, the market would drop roughly 34% to 38%.

Comment

Sourdough, she's not in the stock market. What she is seeing is a possible inflation or something coming because the stock market at times can be an indicator. It was on the news this evening that interest rates on both housing and credit cards are going up, but I don't know how much of a percentage it is going. I won't get in the stock market, we have more secure things.

Comment

Sourdough, she's not in the stock market. What she is seeing is a possible inflation or something coming because the stock market at times can be an indicator. It was on the news this evening that interest rates on both housing and credit cards are going up, but I don't know how much of a percentage it is going. I won't get in the stock market, we have more secure things.
                        It well go up one quarter of a point..........roughly three or four times per year. But that is based on "Current" conditions. In the late 60's and through the 70's we had inflation as high as 21.5 percent. And Paul Volker raised the "Fed Rate" two whole points every other week till he killed the inflation, we also had price controls on everything.

My personal prediction is we will have both high inflation and depression at the same time soon (sometime in the next five years). And contrary to what many think (wrongly) we can have both inflation and depression at the same time, and we have in the past had that situation.

Comment

You might be right on the inflation and depression happening at the same time. It has been a long time but did happen. Seems things have been doing ok for past maybe 7 years and it has been 10 years since the last recession. So something is bound to happen sooner or later.

Comment

You might be right on the inflation and depression happening at the same time. It has been a long time but did happen. Seems things have been doing ok for past maybe 7 years and it has been 10 years since the last recession. So something is bound to happen sooner or later.
                            To me the highest probability of financial hell.......is likely lurking in the Pension Area. The "Pension Nightmare" will lead to massive strikes, labor riots, financial anarchy. "Regional Civil unrest-rioting-destruction".

Which will quickly lead to Federal suspension of nearly all civil rights, long term martial law......and more and more and more regional anarchy-destruction.

It is 100% certain that we will have "Pension HELL/Anarchy.

The Teamsters will shut down trucking.......The Longshoremen will lock down the East and West ports to all shipping, The "International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers" will sabotage key transformers, resulting in regional power outages. The Garbage men will strike for higher wages and pension restructure and Federal Guarantee.

A man works his whole life expecting to retire and have a comfortable pension.........if that is gone......there will tens of thousands of super pissed-off middle class workers.
                            Last edited by Sourdough; 10-11-2018, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Don't forget those that have payed into Social Security and count on that. We get that but do not depend on it. That is what buys our prepping supplies. We live off our real retirement. So hopefully that will sustain us for many more years to come because I don't think we will be able to depend on Social Security anyway with the way govenment has been stealing from that and from Medicare.

Comment

Working...
                              X