X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska, Are you Prepared?

https://www.ktuu.com/content/survey/494296341.html

Alaska, Are you Prepared?

Hey Alaska! We're preparing a series on Emergency Preparedness in the Last Frontier, and we want to know: Are you prepared?

Answer the questions below and watch our series "Are You Prepared?" on Channel 2 the week of Oct. 15-19.

1.In which region of Alaska do you live?*

Far North

Interior

Southwest

Anchorage/Mat-Su

Other Southcentral

Southeast

Other (please specify)

2.What's your age?*

18-25

25-35

35-55

55+

3.Do you rent or own your home?*

Rent

Own

Other (please specify)

4.Do you have an emergency kit with 7 days of food and water?*

Yes

No

5.Do you have a family emergency plan?*

Yes

No

6.Do you feel prepared for an emergency?*

Yes

No

Why or why not?

7.Are Alaskans in general prepared for an emergency?*

Yes

No

Why or why not?

8.Which emergency scenario concerns you most?*

Earthquake

Volcanic Eruption

Wildfire

Flooding/Erosion

National Emergency

Other (please specify)

Last edited by Sourdough; 10-01-2018, 12:45 AM.
    One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Sourdough: This is an interesting survey. I would be interested in hearing the results. My gut feel is that Alaskans would be better prepared than most. You face many types of natural disasters, and your weather is much more severe. Also, depending on where you are, you may have much longer distances to travel for basic necessities.

Interesting to note that they ask if you have a 7 day emergency kit; not just a 72 hour emergency kit. IMHO this is much more important, and practical. Please post the results when you get them.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

https://www.ktuu.com/emergencypreparedness/

My guess is that this link has a short access life........but it brings up some things we don't talk about.
      One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

I think I answered 'yes' to all the ones that mattered. My biggest concerns are flood; earthquake; and tornado.
        The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Coming to this from the 'natural hazards' side, I reckon you have two mega-dangers.

The first is a mega-thrust quake on the Pacific coast.
          Think 1964. Much infrastructure damage. Coastline falls by multiple metres. Severe Tsunami hazard. Inland, a wide strip rises by several metres. Severe shaking will extend far and wide. Water courses deranged. Your well may be compromised. Many Slopes destabilised. Trails vanish. There may be multiple rock-slide dams. Overland access becomes very difficult. Debris in lakes so eg float-planes cannot get to you...

The second, for which there are multiple candidates, is a big volcanic eruption along the Alaskan peninsula or the Aleutian chain. The area is scarily unquiet, there's usually one or two smoking or spitting at any time. Like Iceland, there's a lot going on under the lid...

Remember Mt St Helens' ash-fall ? That flank-collapse blew sideways, so effects were localised. Alaskan volcanoes tend to belch upwards, so spread their misery much, much further. Think Pinatubo...

Beyond airborne and waterborne toxins, your short 'growing' season may be much reduced. Then there's the risk of a sudden thaw, mud flows etc.

As I see it, the worst timings are just before you would 'lay in' your Winter supplies, or just before you'd make the first Spring run. You are then stuck with your contingency stuff...

Bear in mind that a Spring eruption may give a 'year without a summer', and a Winter eruption may be much, much worse...

Take Care Out There.
          Please...

Comment

Working...
          X