Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subscription

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I was trying to find some like minded people in South Arkansas. Also, a few years back while in the State Capital, I saw a billboard ad promoting a "preppers convention" the weekend before I was there. I was wanting to ask about it and if there was any interest in another one. I go to gun show when I can, but they have little outside of guns and knives. Sorry to hear about the problems with the forum. I used to read the magazine when I could find it at my local wally mart. Was sad when I found out it was no longer printed.

    Comment


    • #17
      They have had a couple of those conventions here. Last one was several months ago. I don't know how often they have them. But from what I can tell it is maybe once every one or two years. I have been watching for another one, but nothing yet.

      Comment


      • #18
        Well... like AJ says, it's been a rough few years. When I first joined it was crazy active and then people slowly drifted in and out. Another big thing is that for many the whole topic of Prepping and survival was sort of a fad to go along with the "doomsday" shows that were on TV at the time. As that fad faded, so did many people from a multiple of sites revolving around these topics and themes. Another thing, if you notice, forums everywhere and on everything are going the way of the Dodo bird. For the most part forums are dying to the rise of Facebook groups and other social media apps.

        As far as the hack history, as I recall this was an outside deal. You'd click a link and all of a sudden it's sending you to some non related site. They tried working at it for months. They'd think they had closed it nd then poof, it'd occur again. It was bad for around maybe a year. And yes very little input and almost zero activity from Diesel to our questions and concerns at the time. Then the site went down totally for months. One day I happened to click the bookmark and poof, this new page was there. Luckily most of the the history seems to have been saved so the forum database is all there though lots of missing photos and dead links.

        As you all have pointed out, when the site went back up there were quite a few issues and they haven't been worked on at all. I do have to agree that I think Diesel doesn't work on this anymore and I'm sure it is likely a financial reason. When there were 10's of thousands on here daily I'm sure there was a huge chunk of money rolling in monthly plus there was a boat load of moderators helping to keep the train on the tracks and basically managing the day to day for free. I'm betting that with only having a few of us here each day and limited clicks on ads, the cost to keep this site up vs revenue coming in to keep it up are close to a wash or even a negative. My guess is Diesel has other better and bigger, more profitable projects or things in his personal life have changed and redirected his attention. I won't be surprised when one of these days I click to come here and I get the error message saying the site can not be found or that the domain name is for sale. Which will be a shame when you consider the archive of knowledge and ideas that are in the history of this site, easily accessible from a search.

        As far as activity, another thing that impacts is the time of year the activity goes up and down. I mean when the weather is nice out I've got things to do, gardens to plant and preps to work on, not so much time to sit at a keyboard. Rainy days or when it's cold and snowing out, less to do there, more time to be here. Peoples personal lives and interests change; as they move, gets different jobs, marry, divorce, etc their available time and interests change.

        In this realm of survival I think that it's a huge flash in the pan risk from many newbies coming in saying something like " I'm planning for a CME to wipe out the grid in the next 14 months". Then when that doesn't happen they're like oh well I was wasting time on this, back to life with my head in the sand and they disappear. They don't look at it as a life style, about being ready for the everyday events. You don't know how many times someone joins and posts in the intro and say oh I'm here for X. then you never see from them again. go look at their profiles. often they make one or 2 posts on their first day and then never log back on.

        The individual SHTF that can hit a persons individual world at any time - loss of a job, sickness or death of a family member, an accident, power outage, hurricane... again many get into this dreaming of visions of Red Dawn or the Road Warrior and only want to think of and plan for everything completely going to hell. I've said it many times here but people should be looking at what if events and what the level of impact would be and the probability it could occur. I mean which is more likely, you loosing your job or the grid going down completely and permanently? What's the impact of that event on your life? if you're prepped it's a lot less than someone living pay check to pay check and the only food in their house is an almost empty bottle of ketchup and part of a jar of pickles.

        Sorry I went sideways there. I don't know how we fix things, it's sort of like a family where the adult is an absent parent. Without Diesels input and management nothing is being fixed to make the site work correctly and we're withering on the vine. But a lot of the other sites out there ( I'm an inactive member on several) are clickish have activity but are full of asshats, negativity and "my peepee is bigger than yours" drama. "Oh you think that way... oh you like that piece of equipment?? then you're a %#**^ MORON" Whoo What? No discussion of why a person thinks something or looks at something in a certain way; instead it's just complete negatively from members and then pile on. Then some of them smack of Gun Boi/ Mall Ninja stature - their resume of supposed skills, equipment and knowledge they supposedly posses is so far fetched they could be the thing of PAW fiction (Post Apocalypse World). So yes things are broken here but the people that are here when they can be here are solid people...
        I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

        Comment


        • #19
          CountyGuy you are so right about what you said. And I do want to point out that when people let their guard down, that is when things are going to happen. Yes I do see things in a different light because I know what the Bible says about end times and we are very much in the end times. If we let our guard down, war will surely hit. Things are happening right now over seas in those countries and war will not be far behind. Before it was just a learning curve and will soon be much needed skill you better know how to use or learn now. I am a member of alerts USA and others that tell me what is going on that we do not see on the news as I feel they are hiding the truth of what's happening out their. It is not just the US we need to watch out for it is what is going on in other countries. This has been the best form even though it has it's problems and now and again you get a quack that has to be delt with. But if you let your guard down now all I can say is I hope the info in this forum will and has helped you with your preps. We need to be watching and be prepared now..
          THIS FORUM NEEDS TO BE ON GOING AS THINGS RIGHT NOW ARE ONLY A FALSE PEACE. TROUBLED TIMES ARE COMING.. IT'S NOT A QUESTION OF IF BUT WHEN.

          PLEASE SHARE ANY INFO AND LEARN AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO BE PREPARED. THINGS ARE NOT WHAT WE THINK THEY ARE..

          I don't know what happened to Diesel but hopefully he will be back to help get this forum going again. We need him and this forum to get back on track.

          Comment


          • #20

            Thanks for the insight into the situation. I wonder if Diesel would consider turning over Amin powers to moderators who would be willing to perform various fixes, rather than let this place wither on the vine...

            Are there moderators here willing to get behind the wheel and steer this fine ship away from the rocks? Diesel would probably be happy to let someone else deal with the forum, considering that he is probably too busy (and burnt out?) to deal with this project at the moment.

            I would like to make a recommendation for more robust site protection: https://sucuri.net/ It does not cost a fortune, and will more than pay for itself in the long run. Forums and blogs are prime targets for hackers, so you can bet it WILL eventually happen again unless stronger steps are taken to lessen the chances.

            He may consider it, especially if he sees that there are people here who are willing to put in the effort to resurrect the forum.

            But, I see that this place is more than just a forum... it was also a print magazine and a social media presence. It would be awesome if some of the material from the forum archives could form the bulk of content for a digital edition of the magazine. Affiliate marketing could help produce income for the magazine/site.

            Considering the potential of this site, and the fact that he is still paying the bills to keep the lights on, he may be considering picking it back up someday.

            Just curious: how long ago did the forum get resurrected from the dead?
            Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 09-15-2018, 04:59 PM.
            Genius is making a way out of no way.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
              ... for many the whole topic of Prepping and survival was sort of a fad to go along with the "doomsday" shows that were on TV at the time. As that fad faded, so did many people from a multiple of sites revolving around these topics and themes. Another thing, if you notice, forums everywhere and on everything are going the way of the Dodo bird. For the most part forums are dying to the rise of Facebook groups and other social media apps.
              I agree...but on the other hand, Survivalism is bigger than ever these days. Instead of folks prepping Y2K-style like in the old days, being prepared for just about anything is so cool now. Never before have we had so many high-dollar print magazines on the newsstand racks like we have now. Wow. And so-called "reality" shows are popular.

              Facebook is shooting itself in the foot so much, that I suspect it won't be long before folks start migrating back into the forums for the interchange of information they crave. If the lights are still on when they come back, the voices of migrants will help rejuvinate the forums again.
              Genius is making a way out of no way.

              Comment


              • #22
                Well Grizzyette, we can hope but if FB starts to wain (who remembers My Space - oh that could never fail) but now sites like MeWe are out there that take a anarcho- libertarian stance that they're not going to censor or restrict and more of a hey be ware it's a free and open space. If your sensitive or PC stay at FB where they'll protect an average snowflakes sensitivities.Others are fleeing YouTube due to there censoring of channels thought to be conservative or that deal with coservative favorites like guns and homesteading. I don't see any new "reality" shows besides "Alone" which to me is the most real of any of the ones done so far. not like the faked up Doomsday this or that. the ones you see on cable are all reruns and if you look at the dates are around 6 to 8 yers old at this point.
                I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Phew...I've been in the woods too long (no TV). I didn't realize the survivor type reality shows were pretty much history...

                  I am very happy to see Facebook getting some competition. I had to go see what the MeWe was about. Looks good, and I hope it succeeds. I suspect that with the limited free storage space (and the need to pay up to get more space), they may not become as robust as Facebook used to be back in the day. One can only hope because Facebook has pretty much turned into Facebutt, lol.

                  Given the right slant and treatment, the Survival Magazine could grow head and shoulders above the slickity-slick survival type magazines out there, if it presented differently. Maybe in a more grassroots, "we-the-people" kind of way, fueled by the content here in this forum. (It won't be long before folks begin to tire of the marketing hype that the other magazines are succumbing to.) This, in turn, can drive more potentially interested (and interesting!) members our way.

                  I do wish Diesel would chime in! What do I need to do? Summon the fleas of a thousand camels to invade his garage, or what? lol.
                  Genius is making a way out of no way.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Grizzlyette: AJ and I have been on this forum for about the same amount of time. I don't know what happened when it was hacked, but you couldn't log in for a very long time. People either moved on or lost interest. When it did come back many of the regular contributors were gone. To the best of my knowledge no individuals were affected by the hack; only the site. We did have a real family atmosphere. Everybody was respectful even when they disagreed. Everybody was helpful and willing to share. I have learned a lot here, and I always enjoyed everybody's posts, and I still do.

                    I don't know if new people are afraid to participate. People seem to post on the Introduction page, but you never hear from them again. Maybe they are just shy, or afraid they will be ridiculed. Nothing could be further from the truth. We always welcomed new members with new questions. I have not had the problems Sourdough has, but I can see where that would be consummately frustrating. New Posts seem to disappear around 7:30 in the morning. There must be some type of timer built in, so after that time of day they are no longer new. I don't know for sure. Buggy was the last of our Moderators, but heaven knows he has a world of other things to worry about now. Not sure if you were on here at the time, but Buggy lost everything in the California wild fires. Our prayers are with him, and hope he can come back soon.

                    I would love to see the old members come back, and the new members participate. I'm open to any ideas anybody may have.

                    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

                    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Morgan you are so right. I keep hoping as I have read the old post and even printed out things I felt important for my situation. I really do hope most of the old members will come back and new ones will chime in with their insites to prepping. There is a lot of things I cannot do because of age and health related things and then with my husband's health issues it does limit what I can do by myself as I really don't have a lot of help for things I want to do. But the knowledge on this site is priceless I can learn a lot and pass that info on to others.
                      Grizzly, I do believe you will be great in helping to get this site going again as well as bringing a lot of new info to the table for everyone. I have been out of it for a while as far as prepping goes other than canning and some other things but I really need to get moving on new things as well. I already have enough food to last us a year and keep that up with gardening.. Don't see my hands getting any better unless I have knuckle replacement and I am not willing to do that at this time.. Don't know of anyone that had that done to know how I might fair in that.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
                        Grizzlyette: AJ and I have been on this forum for about the same amount of time. I don't know what happened when it was hacked, but you couldn't log in for a very long time. People either moved on or lost interest. When it did come back many of the regular contributors were gone. To the best of my knowledge no individuals were affected by the hack; only the site. We did have a real family atmosphere. Everybody was respectful even when they disagreed. Everybody was helpful and willing to share. I have learned a lot here, and I always enjoyed everybody's posts, and I still do.

                        I don't know if new people are afraid to participate. People seem to post on the Introduction page, but you never hear from them again. Maybe they are just shy, or afraid they will be ridiculed. Nothing could be further from the truth. We always welcomed new members with new questions. I have not had the problems Sourdough has, but I can see where that would be consummately frustrating. New Posts seem to disappear around 7:30 in the morning. There must be some type of timer built in, so after that time of day they are no longer new. I don't know for sure. Buggy was the last of our Moderators, but heaven knows he has a world of other things to worry about now. Not sure if you were on here at the time, but Buggy lost everything in the California wild fires. Our prayers are with him, and hope he can come back soon.

                        I would love to see the old members come back, and the new members participate. I'm open to any ideas anybody may have.
                        If I were Queen for the day, I would tweek the "New Posts" to just simply rotate off the list as new posts are added in. No time restrictions. They would be "new" only as long as there is room for them. It works quite well for many other boards, so it may also be an option in this software as well.

                        I noticed more than a few one-post newbies also. I even wondered if they had trouble logging back in. (?) One recent newcomer made her initial post on the intro thread and never logged back in since the day of her initial post.

                        100% to old members coming back! Reading their old posts here makes me want to get to know them, and they're not here. Dammit.

                        I wonder if Diesel has their registration emails? Even if half the old emails are non-functional, it would still be a good way of throwing out a line to shipwrecked members... (Arrrgg...why is the rum gone?)

                        Can anyone contact him, anymore? Tell him that a few of us are willing to help salvage his operations but it can't happen if our hands are tied... and we are sitting in the dark, not knowing the fate of this board/magazine...
                        Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 09-20-2018, 05:10 AM.
                        Genius is making a way out of no way.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                          Morgan you are so right. I keep hoping as I have read the old post and even printed out things I felt important for my situation. I really do hope most of the old members will come back and new ones will chime in with their insites to prepping. There is a lot of things I cannot do because of age and health related things and then with my husband's health issues it does limit what I can do by myself as I really don't have a lot of help for things I want to do. But the knowledge on this site is priceless I can learn a lot and pass that info on to others.
                          That is what I do, too. And when the next Big Crisis comes around, folks will be in a flurry to prepare...


                          Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                          Grizzly, I do believe you will be great in helping to get this site going again as well as bringing a lot of new info to the table for everyone. I have been out of it for a while as far as prepping goes other than canning and some other things but I really need to get moving on new things as well. I already have enough food to last us a year and keep that up with gardening.. Don't see my hands getting any better unless I have knuckle replacement and I am not willing to do that at this time.. Don't know of anyone that had that done to know how I might fair in that.
                          Thank you, Applejack. That's quite an honor.

                          I hope you have more "good" days than bad with your hands... If typing gets to be too much, I hope you will consider using the voice app/software that does the "typing" (the whatchamacallit... Dragon? That's one of them, anyway). As you can tell, your input is very much appreciated!
                          Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 09-20-2018, 05:28 AM.
                          Genius is making a way out of no way.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Thank you GrizzlyAdams. My hands are a bit sore today as they are telling me rain is on the way. I am looking for a new computer that has touch screen and like my cell phone I can just say what I want and it prints it. Really don't want to buy a new computer right now as new air conditioner is on the way. We are going to have to replace the old one this fall. It is on the way out. Think we have nursed this one as long as we can. Another year and the neighbors will be complaining of the noise. Yes it is that bad and out of balance as well.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Ebay, via reputable sellers, have some crazy-cheap deals on good machines. That way you can have your cake and eat it too (A/C + computer)!!!

                              I never quite understood that silly expression because what good is cake if you can't EAT it?
                              Genius is making a way out of no way.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by mcmurry View Post
                                I was trying to find some like minded people in South Arkansas. Also, a few years back while in the State Capital, I saw a billboard ad promoting a "preppers convention" the weekend before I was there. I was wanting to ask about it and if there was any interest in another one. I go to gun show when I can, but they have little outside of guns and knives. Sorry to hear about the problems with the forum. I used to read the magazine when I could find it at my local wally mart. Was sad when I found out it was no longer printed.
                                I was sad too, until I found this forum and discovered it was a lot like the magazine, only better...and it's FREE!

                                Genius is making a way out of no way.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X