Clear All

• Subscription

So what do I do to subscribe to the social networking sub forum? Thanks
    Richard

So no one knows.

Comment

Originally posted by mcmurry View Post
      So no one knows.
      This "FORUM" has zero or very near "ZERO" management........or oversight.

This forum is a nearly abandoned......"WALKING WOUNDED" hollowed-out shell of what was a great forum.

This is extremely SAD.........given that this forum has highly experienced and knowledgeable members.
      Last edited by Sourdough; 09-10-2018, 03:16 PM.
      One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

So go find another forum I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by mcmurry View Post
          So go find another forum I guess.
          Sadly that seems to be what happens here. Really knowledgeable people join, and they get bored and then they leave. Some come back and post for a short time, and there is a lack of activity, so they leave.

Great place, if you enjoy talking to yourself.
          One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Not so fast, 'Dough! A tiny forum with few members can be a dynamic place. I have been a member of such a place for many years (not survival related), so I know it's not a fairy tale. We're not a group of folks waiting for others to "do something" or to make "it" happen.

What keeps a small community vibrant is input, intriguing questions, discussions about a wide variety of topics and discussions surrounding links to other thoughts, stories, and places.

Think about this: if a group of five or six friends in the meat world got together for a BBQ... would they all sit around saying nothing, waiting for someone else to liven up the event? Naw... it'll be more like, pop a few beers, roast dem ribs and enjoy the flow of conversation about like-minded interests. Each friend has recently seen or experienced something that the others have not, and the sharing of it can spark a whole 'nother convos, and then some.

It gets better when others are invited to the group. (Thank you Sourdough for inviting me here!)

Very soon, I will be contributing more to the table with a slew of thought-provoking questions that I have been wanting to get everyone's opinions on. I have been dragging my feet because I am not quite sure how to frame numerous questions which are related, yet different.

I won't try to explain dat, but say tuned, lol.
            Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Sourdough I do have to agree with you as most of the people have left this forum but I must say it was because of the site hacking that happened. The site was down so long that it caused a lot of people to move on and they never came back and the few that did never stayed.
              Grizzly you are right as well. It will be up to the new comers to help get this forum back on track.. There is a wealth of great info on this forum. I think we just need to bring up these older forums and see if it will attract any attention and take it from there.

Comment

Just curious about the hacking backstory... what happened? A disgruntled member? Or unknown entity? Were any steps taken to prevent it from happening again?

Comment

...and would it be possible to try to round up some the shipwrecked pieces (members) of the forum?

Comment

The problem is that the forum is broken and they will not fix it. The "Recent Posts" or the "New Posts" does not work. So nearly every time I come here there is never anything to post to or engage into a existing discussion.

On the rare times there are (2) Two new posts..........if I leave the forum, and come back in a few minutes, they are gone.

Every other forum, that I know of, if you hit "New Posts" or "Recent Posts", you get several PAGES of recent posts.

I think that people come here, hit "New Posts" and get "Zero".........figure the forum is dead and defunct.

Originally posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
                    Not so fast, 'Dough! A tiny forum with few members can be a dynamic place. I have been a member of such a place for many years (not survival related), so I know it's not a fairy tale. We're not a group of folks waiting for others to "do something" or to make "it" happen.

What keeps a small community vibrant is input, intriguing questions, discussions about a wide variety of topics and discussions surrounding links to other thoughts, stories, and places.
                    Last edited by Sourdough; 09-11-2018, 12:04 AM.

Comment

I see... well, that just sucks.

I did a little poking around and discovered their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/SurvivalMagazine/) has not had a new post in almost a year... yet at one time had a robust 210,479 followers. Their Twitter page (https://twitter.com/survivalmag?lang=en) was silent for a couple of years after 2015, then after few posts in April 2017, nothing more.

What's up with the owner(s)? Did they totally abandon their ship?

Comment

I think Countryguy tried to get people to come back to the forum but not many did. The forum is dying. It is nothing like it used to be. This forum used to look after each other in a sense. Very friendly but not like that now.. The people on here now are very nice people but that feeling that this forum used to have is gone. I really don't see most of the people coming back. They have moved on after the hack happened. Don't know what happened that caused it but it was bad. The owner of the site fixed it but it has never been the same. I think 2 years of being down did a number on it. I have even been thinking about walking away but will not join any other forum. If I leave this one that will end all forums for me. At this point I get more info from books about prepping than I can on forums. That does not mean I won't pop in once in a while to see how things are going but I have really been getting disinterested with this forum. I am sure others may feel the same way though there is a wealth of info that is extremely good on here. But there is no longer anything new pertaining to anything going on in this world nor how to prep for future events.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                          I think Countryguy tried to get people to come back to the forum but not many did. The forum is dying. It is nothing like it used to be. This forum used to look after each other in a sense. Very friendly but not like that now.. The people on here now are very nice people but that feeling that this forum used to have is gone. I really don't see most of the people coming back. They have moved on after the hack happened. Don't know what happened that caused it but it was bad. The owner of the site fixed it but it has never been the same. I think 2 years of being down did a number on it.

Were any individuals affected (computer viruses/malware) or just the site?

I have even been thinking about walking away but will not join any other forum.

I really, really hope you don't leave!

If I leave this one that will end all forums for me. At this point I get more info from books about prepping than I can on forums.

That's what I have done for years as well, but forums add a whole 'nother dimension that cannot be found in books: a well-rounded look at situations through the eyes and experiences of other people.

That does not mean I won't pop in once in a while to see how things are going but I have really been getting disinterested with this forum.

I am sure others may feel the same way though there is a wealth of info that is extremely good on here. But there is no longer anything new pertaining to anything going on in this world nor how to prep for future events.

I can see why anyone could lose interest for a number of reasons, but I am glad to see the quality is still here (even though it is not in quantity). Like attracts like, and if convos can be generated and maintained--much like the figurative BBQ get-together I mentioned, lol--then maybe the forum can grow and morph into a fresh new face.

Although a new face will never replace what was, it is a lot like the old neighborhood we grew up in...things aren't the same as before, new families move in, new kids on the block play and fight...and so the cycle begins anew...The core of this forum is awesome and has good "bones" which shows a potential for good things to come...IF the cobwebs are brushed off, electricity restored, floors cleaned...

My biggest questions: who are the owners? Have they lost interest? (Twitter and Facebook pages are silent) Are they game for keeping the lights on, maintaining the property, and fixing hacks? (ALL websites/forums are subjected to this and need robust protection.) And, what exactly is the Survival Magazine itself?

Just a few thoughts about how to rejuvenate the forum:

- Post an interesting article or story along with your opinions, and invite others to comment with their viewpoints.

- In reference to historical or personal or hypothetical SHTF events, ask questions such as “what would you do, and why” explore how those events would be worse/better in today’s world.

- Glean topics/threads in other forums and import the OP’s idea into a new thread here.

- Resurrect old threads from our own archives...some will cause a spark of interest; others will slide back into the archives, but it won’t hurt a thing, lol.

- Invite your friends! Show them a link to a thread, and ask their opinion.

That’s just off the top of my head… Anyone else?

Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 09-12-2018, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post
                            The problem is that the forum is broken and they will not fix it. The "Recent Posts" or the "New Posts" does not work. So nearly every time I come here there is never anything to post to or engage into a existing discussion.

On the rare times there are (2) Two new posts..........if I leave the forum, and come back in a few minutes, they are gone.

Every other forum, that I know of, if you hit "New Posts" or "Recent Posts", you get several PAGES of recent posts.

I think that people come here, hit "New Posts" and get "Zero".........figure the forum is dead and defunct.

Who has the power to fix this? Are they willing to do site maintenance to help grow the forum? (Why keep the lights on if the lightbulbs aren't replaced as needed?)

Comment

Diesel is the owner of the forum but he stays so busy that sometimes I think he forgets about us. Hopefully all the problems will be fixed someday.
                              Grizzly you are so right about the information on this forum. It is great info and has helped me with my preps greatly. All of the people on this forum are the best. But the forum needs new life and it is not happening and hasn't in a long, long, time. Old post has been pulled up and nothing seems to get it going. Could try again but I just don't know at this point if it will help. We need to get back to a form of homesteading, gardening, canning, hunting, fishing, and what is now going on in this world. Our time here on this earth is short. WW3 will happen. It's just a question of who is going to start it.. And I don't think it will be Russia like a lot of people think.

Comment

Working...
                              X