No announcement yet.

Buggy's next SHTF.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was out of town travelling on business so didn't have a chance to check in this week. Buggy, How is everything going for you all? Any update on the fire and general sitrep?

Originally posted by Buggyout View Post
    ...a huge world changing event could happen and probably will, however, the chances of what I'm going through happening to you are certain. Maybe not a forest fire, but maybe a storm, or earthquake, or even just getting sick or in an accident or your house burning up.

my advice is to prepare for the mundane as well as the other stuff.

-buggy
    This is an excellent point and one I keep trying to make. Everyone seems to want to think the purpose of this lifestyle is to prepare for a limited potential SHTF event where things go all Road Warrior/ Red Dawn where everyone is eating their pets and killing their neighbors. Instead they should list the events they are preparing for, or that they conceive have a potential of happening and then they need to rank them in level of potential for occurring and also maybe assign a value as to how that event may or may not impact their life and the level of influence.

Like with Buggy's current SHTF situation. For any of us, is it more likely on any given day that there will be a complete failure of society and breakdown to planet of the apes SHTF or that you have a house fire that destroys everything? EMP and total loss of the power grid or your home is washed away in a flood or blown away in a tornado?

I think often people want to live in fantasy land and think of this far down the road, grandiose event and totally overlook and un-prepare for that up close and potential event that can happen each and every day.

To be honest Buggy, your tragedy has me thinking more on how I can be better prepped to get my family out as fast as possible with as much as possible while still focusing primarily on staying home if there were a wide spread long term event.

Obviously I don't know how much y'all had stored away as far as supplies and food preps but do you think your insurance will reimburse you for that or fight you on it? I've always had a worry that if something like a fire happened and we lost a large portion of our preps how the insurance company would handle and or cover that or if they'd say so sad to bad that's outside normal furnishings and property. Or how do you put a value on months worth of food, months of canned goods, etc... And I know my guns are covered on our policy but I've never thought about all the ammo I have; I mean to replace all that would be thousands and thousands of dollars at today's prices. Would the insurance just say too bad or even say well you shouldn't have had that much, and try to claim it contributed to the damage?
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Everyone should be trying to prepare for the types of weather, fires, floods etc. We never know what can happen. I know the west coast have dealt with fires about every year. For us it's hurricanes and flooding in several low laying areas. For the long term everyone should be paying attention to what is going on in the world because what has happened in other countries,, be it riots, some kind of war going on, EMP, or even a collaspe of our country. We should all be trying to prepare as best we can. And no it is not easy because we don't know what the future holds. But just do your best to be prepared and hope for the best.
      Buggy. Hope you and yours are doing well. Will be waiting to hear how things are going. I am sure you were more prepared than most people, but to have a fire take your house there is no preparing for that other that to be ready to leave. Let us know how you guys are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
        I was out of town travelling on business so didn't have a chance to check in this week. Buggy, How is everything going for you all? Any update on the fire and general sitrep?

This is an excellent point and one I keep trying to make. Everyone seems to want to think the purpose of this lifestyle is to prepare for a limited potential SHTF event where things go all Road Warrior/ Red Dawn where everyone is eating their pets and killing their neighbors. Instead they should list the events they are preparing for, or that they conceive have a potential of happening and then they need to rank them in level of potential for occurring and also maybe assign a value as to how that event may or may not impact their life and the level of influence.

Like with Buggy's current SHTF situation. For any of us, is it more likely on any given day that there will be a complete failure of society and breakdown to planet of the apes SHTF or that you have a house fire that destroys everything? EMP and total loss of the power grid or your home is washed away in a flood or blown away in a tornado?

I think often people want to live in fantasy land and think of this far down the road, grandiose event and totally overlook and un-prepare for that up close and potential event that can happen each and every day.

To be honest Buggy, your tragedy has me thinking more on how I can be better prepped to get my family out as fast as possible with as much as possible while still focusing primarily on staying home if there were a wide spread long term event.

Obviously I don't know how much y'all had stored away as far as supplies and food preps but do you think your insurance will reimburse you for that or fight you on it? I've always had a worry that if something like a fire happened and we lost a large portion of our preps how the insurance company would handle and or cover that or if they'd say so sad to bad that's outside normal furnishings and property. Or how do you put a value on months worth of food, months of canned goods, etc... And I know my guns are covered on our policy but I've never thought about all the ammo I have; I mean to replace all that would be thousands and thousands of dollars at today's prices. Would the insurance just say too bad or even say well you shouldn't have had that much, and try to claim it contributed to the damage?
        Yeah, it's been an eye opener!

A quick update:

We moved into a long term three bedroom, two bath house that is also furnished! So, out of the hotel, which was nice, but to small for us as a family. The place is used to house visiting doctors and lawyers when they come to town, so its really really nice. We got a preliminary installment of 15K from our insurance company within five business days. During those five days before the insurance check, I had exhausted my bank accounts. We spent at least $1500 on various things. SHTF is EXPENSIVE! :)

Saturday, we drove to Sacramento for clothing shopping and a trip to IKEA. My stepdaughter starts school in a week and a half, so, she got a whole new wardrobe. The IKEA thing was for my wife, she needs to "nest" in our new long term condo. I also surprised her with a full meal deal spa package the day before. She got pampered to say the least.

I lost everything. Long term food preps, gear, most of my guns, ALL of my ammo! (AT least $20K WORTH in ammo alone!) It all was gone in a flash. I have always been a "Bug out" type of guy, this just reinforces it. I got out with a pistol, rifle and my BOB. That's it. Something to think about.

My advice to all of you firstly is to review your insurance policy. If you don't have insurance, go out today and buy it. Buy the very best insurance you can! Don't go cheap with a no-name insurance company. Even if it costs you hundreds of dollars a month. Your policy will have three coverages on it: Dwelling, Other structures and personal property. A really good policy (Like mine) will have a fourth called "Loss of use" That's what is paying this $175 a night condo for the next 24 months. yes, you heard me - $175 a NIGHT! it also pays for food, gas, clothing, and a bunch of other expenses.

It's important to get the wording "Replacement Cost" on both your dwelling and personal property. This will pay you up to a cap limit. My dwelling limit is $283,700. That will cover my mortgage, so. I will have that paid off and own the land. We are not rebuilding, so I will have to either sit on the land or sell it. We are looking for a new house now.

My personal property cap is $212,780. I should get most if not all of that back. California is hard on insurance companies, requiring them to expedite all claims and ENFORCING replacement cost. One of the "few" good policies here in this commie state. To put it into layman terms, most other states are loose on insurance. For example if you don't have replacement costs, you may just get market value for your 65" TV that is 20 years old, may be worth $20 bucks and that's what you will get. if you have replacement costs, you are going to get a brand new 65" 4K TV!!

More later......

-Buggy
        I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

During the first few days, you'll be constantly working! From sun up to sundown, you'll be on the phone with adjusters, State and federal agencies, banks and so forth. You'll be driving all over for basic family needs. Your family will be stressed. Your pets will be stressed. (This whole mess caused one of my dogs to go into heat! We think) I can't say enough to have cash on hand. At least $1000! I know that's a lot, but we blew through that and more very quickly.

Start a claim as soon as possible. If its a mass national disaster, there will be thousands of people vying for resources and housing. The sooner you start a claim, the higher on the list you will be. We were evacuated at 3 AM, I started a claim at 9 AM. We were in a hotel that evening. There were a hundred people outside our hotel trying to get in. most slept in their vehicles or on the grass. Insurance companies have strings they can pull, so we got bumped up on the list fairly quickly.

Don't be afraid to take advantage of help. Pride goes out the door pretty fast. We ate at the evacuation center a few times during the initial few days. It was humbling. Also, water was NOT a problem. Everywhere had it. pallets of bottled water on the side of the road, churches, evac site, it was everywhere. We took as much as we wanted.

It is amazing to see the very best of people and the very worst. True colors will come out. We have a local deli owner who said; "We don't want you to worry about eating for the next month if you lost your home. Let us be your kitchen!" anything on the menu, anytime. For the worst, looters have been caught. Scammers have ALREADY been in contact with me personally trying to sell their "Services".

We are still positive and chugging along! :)

-Buggy

Comment

Comment

Why not stay in the paid for condo for six months or a year.........why rush into buying another home.......???

Glad your well........Any thoughts about how you could have evacuated with "MORE" stuff.....??? Like own a bigger vehicle (Chevy Suburban), or have a 12 foot enclosed trailer, and just throw stuff in, hook it up and go.

Did you have a gun safe..........how did it fair the fire....???
              Last edited by Sourdough; 08-05-2018, 02:54 PM.
              One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Wondering the same, with the complete destruction of his house it was extremely hot, to the point I'm thinking even the best safe wouldn't have stood up to the heat for the hours of exposure

Comment

We got out there today. Everything was melted or turned into rubble. I thought I would recover some of my Wusthof kitchen Knives. Nope burned and so brittle I could snap them.

We only had 20 minutes to get out of dodge. That's it. We had four vehicles, enough space but no time.

The gun safe was intact on the outside and completely burned out on the inside. The heat had welded the locking bolts. The only reason we know everything was toast, was the locking mechanism had popped out and we were able to shine a light into it. My safe was only around $700 Costco thing. My neighbor had a top of the line Liberty Safe. It too was completely destroyed. We helped him put it into his truck today, he has gold and silver in it he will hopefully recover.

Funny enough, ALL of my military ammo cans were singed but intact. The ammo inside was toast! I thought there would be holes peppering the cans because of the rounds "cooking" (literally) There wasn't ONE! Crazy.

I'll try to get some pictures loaded, I found two of my guns I hadn't had in the safe.

-Buggy

Comment

Comment

Buggy: Glad you are all safe. That is by far the most important thing. Hopefully, insurance will help soften the blow. I can't even imagine how devastating it would be first; to lose everything; and second to have to start over. You are in our hearts and prayers every day.

I have to ask the question, and there may not be a good answer, but why did you only have 20 minutes to evacuate? Shouldn't somebody in authority have seen where the fire was going, and gotten people out of harm's way? There must be hundreds of people working on that fire. Somebody must be responsible for watching the direction the fire is going, and how many people have to be evacuated.

Your advice on insurance is well taken. We should all be checking our policies. Good luck, and thanks for keeping us posted.
                      The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
                        Buggy: Glad you are all safe. That is by far the most important thing. Hopefully, insurance will help soften the blow. I can't even imagine how devastating it would be first; to lose everything; and second to have to start over. You are in our hearts and prayers every day.

I have to ask the question, and there may not be a good answer, but why did you only have 20 minutes to evacuate? Shouldn't somebody in authority have seen where the fire was going, and gotten people out of harm's way? There must be hundreds of people working on that fire. Somebody must be responsible for watching the direction the fire is going, and how many people have to be evacuated.

Your advice on insurance is well taken. We should all be checking our policies. Good luck, and thanks for keeping us posted.
                        It happened too fast is your short answer. We were 13 or 14 miles away from the fire when we went to bed at around 10 PM Weds night. There was a mountain range between our area and the main line. At that time, the fire was going in a completely different direction. Most agencies were focused on another community. At around 3 AM, we got the first knock on our door by CalFire. We were told to get ready to evacuate. A few minutes after that, the power went off. A few minutes after that CalFire again contacted us and told us to immediately leave. We grabbed what we could and left. At that time, the fire was just 2 miles away and had jumped several fire lines. Now, we are not sure exactly when it reached our property. It could have switched direction again, then re-flared up. We were told word of mouth that the whole community had been leveled a day later.

All the firemen said the same thing; They had never seen such an unpredictable route the fire took. Typically, they can forecast direction and speed. In this fire, they could not.

Thanks for your kind words, Morg. We are going to make it. Things like this bring families closer together.

-Buggy

Comment

Some hilarity for you guys......

Digging through the rubble yesterday we found our dog's KONG toy......A little singed, but otherwise fine. The fire turned metals into puddles. The KONG made it. We laughed until we cried. BAHAHAHA!

So, I got home and called the KONG company in Colorado. I wanted to tell them about their amazing product, tougher than a wildfire!!! HAHAHA!

They told me they were going to ship me a pallet full of product! To keep what I wanted and give the rest away.

How cool is that????

-Buggy

Comment

Nice to find a silver lining among all the clouds. Glad you could find a way to laugh. Stay strong.
                            The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

a pallet... that is a lot of kongs... lol But our big dog loves hers

Comment

Bahahahahaha!

Comment

Working...
                                X