Buggy's next SHTF.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buggy's next SHTF.

This morning, we were awakened at 3 AM and told to evacuate because of of a forest fire two miles away. Last night it was 12 miles away.

Ten minutes after the order was given, the power went off. Ten more minutes, we were driving away. I'm not sure we will have a house when this thing is over.

currently the fire is at 7000 acres with 10% containment. Look up the Carr fire for more Info.

I'll type more later. Thank God for preps and a plan. You guys should probably rethink bugging in. We had 30 minutes to scoot. I grabbed my bag, some clothing and what i planned and was loaded in my Jeep. 90% of all my preps are in my house, which, could be ashes as we speak.

-buggy
    I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

So. I just got a phone message from the emergency broadcast system telling me to evacuate, 7 hours after I evacuated. Blah

still no word on my place.

-buggy

Comment

Oh. The fire is at 20000 acres, still at 10% contained.

Comment

Glad your safe........will pray for your home.

Forest fire is my single most in my face fear. I have no vehicle, and am deep in the Chugach National Forest.

This fear of loosing everything to a forest fire is the motivation for my extensive "Caching Program".

It is interesting that people who live in cities or towns can't grasp that a fire can race 60 plus MPH and destroy everything.

Fast moving fire in Europe today......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbREg6ojGm8
        One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

If I lived in an area where forest fires were possible, I'd probably live in a concrete and steel house with steel shutters for the windows.

If it can happen, it probably will eventually.

Good for you that you were prepared... Hope your home is safe.

Comment

look up the Great Fire of London.1666.

Comment

Update:

it's absolutely unreal. Apocalyptic. The local college has thousands of evacuees, filling every building, laying on the grass , tents. The town has people running around screaming, literally, you can feel the tension and the terror. The power is completely down in a lot of the areas.

the wall of fire has made it to the main part of Redding. Population 80,000.

we still dont have any word about our place. Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

SHTF.

-buggy

Comment

Buggy: You are in our prayers. Hope the fire can be contained, and somehow miss you. Here again you are living the shocking reality of how your world can be turned upside down in the blink of an eye. You are better prepared than 99% of the people around you. Thank God for that. I wish I was closer, and could help. Take care.
                The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Thanks guys.

44000 acres. 3% contained. 113 degrees Fahrenheit today.

grim.

-buggy

Comment

Originally posted by Buggyout View Post
                    Update:

it's absolutely unreal. Apocalyptic. The local college has thousands of evacuees, filling every building, laying on the grass , tents. The town has people running around screaming, literally, you can feel the tension and the terror. The power is completely down in a lot of the areas.

the wall of fire has made it to the main part of Redding. Population 80,000.

we still dont have any word about our place. Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

SHTF.

-buggy
                    How are you getting information about the fire....and what they expect the fire to do....???
                    Who is in charge of the location you currently are........???
                    What did you NOT grab when you evacuated, that you wish you had with you now....???
                    Other then worrying about your home, what are some of your current concerns....???

Thanks, We appreciate all that you can report. Praying for your home, glad your safe.
                    One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post

How are you getting information about the fire....and what they expect the fire to do....???
                      Who is in charge of the location you currently are........???
                      What did you NOT grab when you evacuated, that you wish you had with you now....???
                      Other then worrying about your home, what are some of your current concerns....???

Thanks, We appreciate all that you can report. Praying for your home, glad your safe.
                      The information, or rather, lack of information is one of the worst parts of this. It is chaos. I spent most of yesterday driving around trying to get somebody who has a clue.

They all say the same thing: The fire is out of control.

Redding is a strange animal. The city is surrounded on three sides by mountain ranges. Our temperatures are crazy hot here. We are on par with Death Valley with heat. Our average temp is around 110 degrees F during this time of year. If you go west to the coast, its cools off significantly. Its 59 degrees there. What that causes is a thermal and shooting into the valley , which is why this thing is vastly out of control.

CalFire is the command, along with local and federal agencies, they create an interagency team. The feds are only here with thier firefighters. I'm sure that will change. This is big.

I grabbed my BOB and three of my guns. I also loaded my Jeep with water and gas cans, a cooler, tools,extra camping gear. we loaded our other car with a few bags of clothing, some of our photos and some of our important paperwork. What I learned is even though we had a plan, we were not able to grab everything. We were out of there in a little more than 20 minutes.

I wish I had grabbed my extra glasses. I also wasnt able to get all my family photos and important paperwork. I have amazing insurance! we were set up into a hotel until Sunday, then go to a really nice Marriot extended stay for 3 weeks or more. My only headache with that was the $1000 detuctable. I wish I had familiarized myself more with all that.

When I bought my place, I spent another 80K on "stuff" - furniture, tools, clothing, appliances, freezer, washer and dryer, decorations, outdoor equipment, you name it....I had it..Most of you remember, I came from Alabama a few years ago with just my Jeep and, ironically, about what I grabbed yesterday morning. I have to be honest, I'm not stressing. I've lived with lots of things and I have lived with few things. I have been through many mini SHTFs.

it all works out in the end. :)

-buggy

Comment

Update:

The NationalGaurd is coming.

Phone and internet are sporadic. We cannot use one of ouraccounts. Good thing there is a lot of help in the form of free meals and such.

-buggy

Comment

Thanks for answering my questions. I have such a very high appreciation for what I call "Boots in the Field" information.

Comment

Update:

37000 people have been evacuated.

watched a video of a fireman driving through my area. Everything was on fire.... bridges, telephone poles, everything. Heart wrenching. It's a little easy to watch when it happens to someone else, when you see places you drive by every day, it hits you like a punch in the stomach.

-buggy

Comment

I got the impression that your insurance company, is covering your hotel/motel. What is the fate of others.......??? Are people getting pissy, short tempered....???

Frankly.........anything you notice and can report is of future value to us. It sucks for you, but "WOW" what a gift this is to the forum members. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X