Trip Wire.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Wire.

if I wanted to set up a trip wire at a BOL- post SHTF only- what is the best stuff to use? wire? fishing line? paracord? other?
    my thought was perhaps fishing line as its opaque.
    like to hear your ideas.
    Last edited by grumpygremlin; 07-02-2018, 06:28 AM.

This one comes highly recommended:
    https://www.amazon.com/Berkley-Bu8Fl...SIN=B076577HSJ

Here is another method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMcqXUvrkGA

Hope this helps.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

so fishing line would be the preferred method? that was my choice.
      I've seen the tin can method used before but using pebbles inside the can to make the noise.
      I've also seen mouse traps and light sticks used to make a visual but silent warning.

Comment

Monofilament fishing line is almost transparent and well nigh invisible in the lighter grades.

Having had to untangle both open face spin-caster and multiplier reel tangles, I still wonder that I had both the patience and eye-sight...

Um, does it fluoresce to a UV torch ? I do not know...

Comment

Originally posted by Nik View Post
          Monofilament fishing line is almost transparent and well nigh invisible in the lighter grades.
          yes that's what I thought and having a big spool of it in my old fishing bag!!!

Comment

braided 50-75 lbs fishing line in brown to dark green. You need to put them at 9-12 inches above ground level. It's weird but deer will step across them!

Comment

Monofilament isn't preferred for tripwires. Anyone with training will detect it easily with either a laser pointer or better grade night vision. Thin metal wire (actual military surplus tripwire can be purchased) makes for the best tripwires. If actual military grade is unavailable you can use copper telephone line (one of four) or used blasting wire. Paint the outside coating to match the environment that it will be used in, but never use black as it stands out bad. I've used Rustoleum paint mixed one part paint to two parts acetone. Makes for a much thinner coating that is more flexible.

I won't go into how to deploy tripwires for mines or IED's. I don't think this is a place for that.

Good luck.

Dale
              Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Here is a possible source.https://www.amazon.com/USGI-Snare-Vi...=1530583886587
                Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

its only for the odd civilian that might blunder into my location not the military trained .
                  if the military moves into my location then I've had it, but that's probably not going to happen as there is nothing here for them, and I am a long way from an army camp, like I said before the UK dosent have the huge army the US does and what they do have will be highly stretched in any emergency.

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
                    braided 50-75 lbs fishing line in brown to dark green. You need to put them at 9-12 inches above ground level. It's weird but deer will step across them!
                    This is what I use for set-gun practice. I have a thread here someplace about set-guns.
                    One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

other thing is the fishing line has a tendency for some reason to collect dew and then the drops sort of get that sparkle like icicles if the light hits it right. so if a person is sneaking an suspects there might be trips they might show up. and like Dale said the laser pointers pop up a lot of things and those aren't a "military" thing.
                      I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

a favorite for hidden drug sites in the woods, is fishing line hung from trees, with dark fish hooks tied, about face level. But that is definitely several steps beyond a simple trip wire to announce an unintended visitor. I would opt for fishing line also
                        Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Originally posted by lalakai View Post
                          a favorite for hidden drug sites in the woods, is fishing line hung from trees, with dark fish hooks tied, about face level. But that is definitely several steps beyond a simple trip wire to announce an unintended visitor. I would opt for fishing line also
                          no I don't want to go that far, but if things get really bad I might also add some Pungi Sticks to the trip wire but i'm not going into details here.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
                            other thing is the fishing line has a tendency for some reason to collect dew and then the drops sort of get that sparkle like icicles if the light hits it right. so if a person is sneaking an suspects there might be trips they might show up. and like Dale said the laser pointers pop up a lot of things and those aren't a "military" thing.
                            in that case it might be an idea just to run a cloth over the trip wire every morning with will remove the dew.

Comment

Working...
                            X