Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "WILDERNESS can CHANGE a Man"

The wilderness can change a man.

There is a real transformation that can metamorphose within a man who is alone in the wilderness. He can exit the wilderness fragile, very fragile, he is no longer sure where that which is himself ends and that which is not himself starts.

Everything is kind of fuzzy, and has a softness about it, all things appear slightly blurred to the eye, like after one has been crying, and it can be hard to distinguish where one object stops and another object starts.

He feels weak and vulnerable, but centered. In fact he is stronger, but the feeling of weakness, and vulnerability comes from the loss of arrogance.

There is a clarity about the perfection of everything. Sounds are crisper, colors are different, there are so many more (new) colors now.

He feels as if he is looking through things and through people, this is a very uncomfortable experience, he tries to focus, but he just looks through everything.

Part of him wants to go back to the way it was, before being alone in the wilderness. But he also enjoys the bliss of how it is now. He wants to weep for no reason, but for the perfection of everything.

He has change, and can not change back to that which he was before, being alone in the wilderness.

I know not of drugs, but being alone in the wilderness, for long periods will change your perception of the universe. The universe is the same, but you have shifted to a place where you can see, with new eyes, a new heart, and a new empathy for all life. You have been born a second time, and are a child of the wilderness.

There was a time long ago, that a man was encouraged to go into the wilderness alone for a extended period, so that he might find wisdom about life. Sad it is discouraged today. Welcome home....welcome home. Home from the wilderness, for he is free to return at any time to your true nature.

NOTE: I wrote this based on my six months alone in the Alaska wilderness, in the early 70's. I was proving up on my federal homestead land grant.
    One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

I spent over 60 days in a Asian jungle on a SERE course where I was alone and had to remain undetected as well as survive with the bare minimum of what we were allowed, or could build in the jungle. My experience was a lot different than yours. We had to make over 100 miles while being hunted. Feeding yourself in the jungle isn't near as easy as it is in the rocky mountains or most places. With that kind of survival, there was no rest, no peace and constantly tired from hunger and lack of rest. The most restful day I remember was waking up one morning on the side of a mountain, where I stopped the night before and 20 feet down the hill was a female cobra guarding her nest. I just sit and watched her for half the day. She fascinated me. Always alert but never giving herself away. She was about 12 feet long. I left her alone and finally moved on. I ate a smaller cobra that evening (about 5 feet long) and that was a great meal in the jungle.

That was the survival portion of that training. I will agree, that time alone does change you. It did me.

Dale

Comment

wilderness can also kill a man if he doesn't know what he's doing.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpygremlin View Post
        wilderness can also kill a man if he doesn't know what he's doing.
        that's the law of nature, hard and concrete.
        I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

that should sort out the numbers post SHTF for anyone stupid enough to think they can just walk out of a city.

Comment

Working...
          X