No announcement yet.

Flu Season 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is crazy, but it looks like my wife got the flu a second time?!?! I thought that was impossible, but apparently they are saying here you can get a relapse. Maybe it is just a mutated strain that is still in the area. Flu shots here have only been 37% effective. OPEN THE WINDOWS!!
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Haven't had the flu since 1990 or so. The military mandates that i take the vaccine each and every year. There have been several Soldiers i know this year that in fact received the vaccine, but still caught the "bug" anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
        This is crazy, but it looks like my wife got the flu a second time?!?! I thought that was impossible, but apparently they are saying here you can get a relapse. Maybe it is just a mutated strain that is still in the area. Flu shots here have only been 37% effective. OPEN THE WINDOWS!!
        There are multiple strains of Flu going around this year, so many people are getting it more than once. I used to get sick within 72 hours of getting the vaccine every time I got one. After I was discharged I stopped getting the vaccines and its been over 20 years since I had the flu the last time. The flu used to be primarily avian transported and was very seasonal, now with jet travel multiple strains can be transported globally within a matter of days.

Dale
        Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Well after 3 weeks I'm feeling run down and tired all the time. But no more fever!!!!!!!

I just hope that this is about over.

My daughter a High School teacher said that about the 15th of February there were about 30 percent of her students home with the flu.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post

you don't get immunity from having the flu so a second whack of it is totally possible - with your resistance already down - the 2nd time could be worse ....

Comment

Yep, I got double tapped here I'm pretty sure. Back in mid January I was down an entire weekend and then missed 3 days of work. About the same time the baby was sick and we took her to the Dr and she tested for Flu A. now last weekend I was down and missed Monday and went to dr on tue to find out I had type B. so hoping that;s it but this season has been horrible around our area and the house for all kinds of things from flu to stomach bugs to just plain bad colds.
              I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Just a FYI. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/viruses/index.htm

Morgan, the human body does build up antigens to the specific virus that it contracts, but the problem with influenza is that it is constantly adapting and changing it's own DNA which eliminates or "immunity".

Dale
                Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

the Doc mentioned there is to be a "V" strain also out there making it's rounds that's fairly prevelant.
                  I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

The only time I got the shot I had such a horrible reaction I swore I would never get another one. That was 40 years ago, and I have stuck with that vow. Fortunately, after my wife had the second round she did not share it with the rest of the family. Seems to have passed now. I will stick with massive doses of fluids,Vitamin C and honey, and hope for the best.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Glad to know that everyone is doing better from the flu. We did not get it and have not had the flu now in over 20 years. We do get the flu vac. but only in past 10 years. Last year we did not get it but did fine. I am very careful about hubby going into stores during flu season. Lots of hand washing, keep hands away from face and lots of wipes to wipe down carts in store and hands as well. Vit. C and zinc also gets used a lot around here as well as Zicam at the start of a cough or sneeze.

Comment

Ok, I noticed that the last time ZGRan was on line was Jan 11 of this year. I hope she is ok and didn't get the flu or something. If anyone has an e-mail address for her, maybe they could contact her to make sure she is ok. She is truly missed on here.

Comment

I tried sending ZAGran a PM, but I never heard back. Hoping everything is O.K.

Comment

the last place I want to be in a major health outbreak is a hospital with loads of sick people.

Comment

I get the UK's flu vaccine as early in the season as I can. Yes, I usually feel as if I have a very bad cold or full-on hay fever for several days, but that's just residual immunity to one of the vaccine's mix.

If I can, I also get the 'pharmacy' vaccination, which is a complementary mix to the NHS/MD version.

I still get the flu, but *usually* comparatively mildly, and *usually* in January / February, when a viral strain has had a chance to mutate.

I've had the 'real thing' several times, ghastly fevers spiking to 104, scary hallucinations, monster sweats, arctic shivers etc etc for a week, often with a fourth week's relapse. It totally ruins my health for the rest of the winter...

And, yes, I've had the 'decadal' pneumonia vaccination. Be aware this counts *very* favourably towards triage in a 'code black' situation.

Comment

I gave up having the flu jab about 6 years ago maybe more, when there was some talk about that years innoculation having an element of bird flu in it, funnily enough since I stopped having the flu jab I haven't had any flu!!! strange that.

Comment

Working...
                                X