Flu Season 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flu Season 2018

Last Friday I had to go to the military hospital for an appointment. Once I walked into the door, I was handed a N95 mask to wear. Everyone was wearing a mask. Plus there seemed to be well over 50 percent more people there then I had ever seen before. I have used this military facility since 1993.

I asked a nurse what's up and she said the flu. So I waited to see my doctor and talked to him. He knows my understanding about the flu virus. (My great Uncle while on ship returning from WW-I died from the Spanish flu. in 191 He was buried at sea.). He stated the news media is not covering the story the way it needed to be. we are very close to a pandemic since there is 2 forms of the virus, one is short term (7 days) the other is very serious with many dead.

What the military is doing (Same as civilians) is to hand out Tamaflu like it is candy. If you remember the last time we have a serious flu,Tamaflu was just coming out very expensive and used only in extreme cases.

Get some Germ-X use every time you touch something outside the home. When people come into your home have them rub some. If some one in the home is sneezing, coughing, running a fever get them to your doctor have them use a mask. A test for flu takes 15 minutes.

It has been through our house starting with my wife, and being passed from her; to me; to our son. I'm not sure if we really had the flu. It was more like sever cold symptoms; sneezing; coughing; runny nose. I felt as weak as a kitten for three days. After that markedly better each day. None of us had any gastro-intestinal problems, so not sure if it was actually flu. Whatever it was it will knock you for a loop.

The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Yeah, I have to go to the VA for a medication issue. There is NO WAY in hell I'm going now while the flu is running crazy! I worry about catching the crud there in the off- season. I'll wait it out.

Ya never know when (and if) this could turn into an epidemic.

-Buggy
      I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
        Last Friday I had to go to the military hospital for an appointment. Once I walked into the door, I was handed a N95 mask to wear. Everyone was wearing a mask. Plus there seemed to be well over 50 percent more people there then I had ever seen before. I have used this military facility since 1993.

I asked a nurse what's up and she said the flu. So I waited to see my doctor and talked to him. He knows my understanding about the flu virus. (My great Uncle while on ship returning from WW-I died from the Spanish flu. in 191 He was buried at sea.). He stated the news media is not covering the story the way it needed to be. we are very close to a pandemic since there is 2 forms of the virus, one is short term (7 days) the other is very serious with many dead.

What the military is doing (Same as civilians) is to hand out Tamaflu like it is candy. If you remember the last time we have a serious flu,Tamaflu was just coming out very expensive and used only in extreme cases.

Get some Germ-X use every time you touch something outside the home. When people come into your home have them rub some. If some one in the home is sneezing, coughing, running a fever get them to your doctor have them use a mask. A test for flu takes 15 minutes.

anybody going around knocking on doors during this flu epidemic better have a good reason - I wouldn't be inviting people in for just conversation .... especially a person that is going home to home to home ....

just watch what happens around the country following this weekend's Super Bowl celebrating - bound to be an explosion in the flu cases ...
        Last edited by Illini Warrior; 02-01-2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

here's a two parter on pandemic prepping from the SurvivalBlog - not the best & most informative article around - but it's newly published and you might gleam something new to you - the guy refers to himself as "Scientist 69" - take his credentials at face value ....

https://survivalblog.com/not-pandemi...1-scientist69/

https://survivalblog.com/not-pandemi...2-scientist69/

Comment

I'm a member of flutrackers.com a site that has observers in every state and 19 other countries. We were established back when the term bird flu made every one go crazy. That is because there is two things you need to transmit flu from animal to person to person.

1. The flu virus must mutate so that it is easy to move from body to body becoming airborne is the best way.

2. It must still have the serious ability to damage or destroy the body from within. (Mostly the lungs)

Facts:

The flu we get each year is mutated from the original 1918 Spanish Flu.

During the 23 months that Spanish Flu went around the world over 60 million people died. It hit on all 7 continents.

The annual flu shot contains the best guess of WHO and the CDC and to what 3 strains will hit the USA. This year they hit on one but missed of the other.

Were does the flu start? Always starts in Asia since records were maintained after WW-II. If you had the flu remember you still give off the virus for up to 10 days. So even if you feel good you can still get people sick around you at school, work, and at home.

I hope this helped.

Comment

flutrackers.com is good one - I track it for the domestic info ...

PFI is another one - Pandemic Flu Info Forum ...

http://www.singtomeohmuse.com/viewfo...923340cad5c958

good combo site for latest flu info and planning for the pandemic ....

http://www.planforpandemic.com/

Ready Mom would hunt me down if I don't mention her's .....

http://www.emergencyhomepreparation....5ce9e15c30a216

pandemic info site that has good insight ....

http://www.getpandemicready.org/

Comment

Yea but we were the only ones invited to a government review board when the bird flu began to pass animal to person to person.

Comment

How's everyone fairing? Been awful quiet here lately. Hoping everyone is well and is just busy with life. Our little one tested positive for Flu Type A on Superbowl Sunday. Dr prescribed Tamaflu which took us to 4 phramacy till found one. Walmart had 2 boxes of branded stuff but wanted $172!! Oh hell no, generic was $30 but they were all out. Girl there T'd me off so much with her attitude I didn't bother asking what it was with my perscription card. Got it from the new local owned pharmacy in town, generic was $5

Think some or maybe all of us have had it or strain of it but she was only one we felt was getting to the point, especially with all the media scare hype, that we thought we should take her in.

Stay healthy everyone!
                  I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

My folks were both in and out of the Er a couple times fighting it. They are old and not well already. They seem to have gotten over it now though.

I had to take care of them, so hit vitamin C and zinc hard to boost my immune system. So far I haven’t had it.

i hope you are all okay.

"Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

I am only guessing that I had it, but from conversations with others it seems to be this year's version. The reason I guess is that I had no gastro-intestinal discomfort. None! My perception of flu is that you will vomit etc. and can't keep anything down. I had none of that. Every symptom I would think would indicate a severe cold; runny nose, coughing, zero appetite. The only symptom I had that I would relate to the flu was that I felt as weak as a kitten. It was bad for about two days, and then it broke. Maybe I was just lucky.

Medical professionals here are saying flu shots are only 30-40% effective. Not a comforting thought. Wash your hands often, and load up on Vitamin C.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

It seems that my last trip to the hospital gave me the flu. I have had a low temp 99.8 - 101.2 which we all should know is the body response to virus. All the other items we now about with the flu has happened.

My wife is in the ER right now with the same thing. It is early enough that TamaFlu might work on her.

I did every thing you should do social distancing, wash hands a lot, carry germ x, clean door knobs. I still got it.

Comment

with 5 germ bags...err i mean kids here it's like germ central station... hoping we are starting to see light at the end of the tunnel...

Comment

Kids are like incubators. They nurture everything, and then bring it home. Then we send them to an even bigger incubator, SCHOOL, so they can meet more incubators, and bring even more home. My wife was a teacher for forty years, and she caught everything. Close up all the windows and doors because it is cold, and we wonder why we get sick. Offices have absolutely no fresh air. It is a wonder we survive.

Comment

Excellent points Morg. Glad to see some of the new home heating systems are starting to implement air to air heat exchangers to help circulate air. As warm or cool air is expelled it goes over a heat exchanger to warm the incoming air in the winter or to cool it in the summer but it circulates to get fresh air moving.

Comment

Working...
                              X