Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a Gun Safe Work as a Faraday Cage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a Gun Safe Work as a Faraday Cage?

Would a gun safe of any size work as a Faraday cage? Could a gun safe be modified to work as a Faraday cage? If it could be modified what would you have to do? There are a bazillion You Tube videos on building Faraday cages. Why reinvent the wheel? Start with a metal box that is already sealed. Is this possible?

The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

I do not know.

If you ground it and it has a rubber seal around the door, and there is no other openings, maybe?????

Any one.

Because inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

As i recall I believe it needs to have a continuous surface so the door and frame would need bare metal to metal contact. I've read were people say you'd need to stuff all cracks with aluminum foil etc and how the charge would need to stay on the outside. I'm thinking that part is BS as if the outside surface of the metal is charged so is the inside. I think it's about surrounding it in continuous "field" to allow that to be sent to ground before the waves can penetrate into the container. I thought I've read where you can use something like expanded metal to build a cage and it works, I don't believe it needs to be solid. If you look at the old Tesla coil experiments they were in rudimentary wire mesh cages that were intended, and did, protect them from the insanely high voltages.

Likely you'd need to add something like short grounding straps to connect the door to the frame as the hinges likely don't provide strong enough a electrical connection. On something that big I'm not sure whether you would need to add a ground strap from the frame to ground either. Besides a gun safe I've wondered about old chest or stand up freezers or fridges. Also metal file cabinets might likely do the trick.
      I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Wow! Suddenly, the junky old metal cabinets left in our basement by the previous owners of this house have new value. I've been meaning to set up a faraday cage and stash my walkie talkies and such in it, but it was just enough of a 'project' that I hadn't actually gone there. Now I'm thinking this could be do-able.

It has to have something internally that insulates/isolates the radios from the metal surface, though, right? Thick layers of cardboard or styrofoam, or such?
        Been there, done that. Then been there again several times, because apparently I never learn.

Comment

CG: I was thinking more along the lines of the smaller "Hand Gun" safes. Not a full blown rifle safe. You have a solid metal box. The shelves are usually padded with some type of sheet foam. If you put your devices in Faraday bags then seal the front door of the safe with aluminum tape would that work? I'm not sure how you could ground it. Some small safes have mounting holes, so they can be bolted to a wall or shelf. Could you attach a grounding wire like a battery cable to a bolt?
          The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Schneb View Post
            Wow! Suddenly, the junky old metal cabinets left in our basement by the previous owners of this house have new value. I've been meaning to set up a faraday cage and stash my walkie talkies and such in it, but it was just enough of a 'project' that I hadn't actually gone there. Now I'm thinking this could be do-able.

It has to have something internally that insulates/isolates the radios from the metal surface, though, right? Thick layers of cardboard or styrofoam, or such?
            There you go Schneb - one persons junk is another's treasure/ faraday cage... lol

I'm not sure how far things would need to be off the surface but maybe something like a shallow plastic tray (say 2-3" high) flipped upside down could be used as a shelf off the bottom of the drawer floor? Or like you said a few inches of Styrofoam might do it. Maybe even line that with some old mylar ballons or food bag material. I'm thinking something like a Styrofoam cooler lined on the insides and top to creat sort of a double protection.

I've not heavily investigated faraday's work or the cages named after him but I know there is actual scientific data out there on them, beware of the conjecture and arm chair scientists in the Prepper community. I'm sure a little homework on the web or a few books from Amazon/ Kindle can provide a lot of info. I think a lot of the "info" out there floating around our prepper communities is all or partially wrong so take everything with a grain of salt; including what I'm saying as it's based on limited investigation.

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
            CG: I was thinking more along the lines of the smaller "Hand Gun" safes. Not a full blown rifle safe. You have a solid metal box. The shelves are usually padded with some type of sheet foam. If you put your devices in Faraday bags then seal the front door of the safe with aluminum tape would that work? I'm not sure how you could ground it. Some small safes have mounting holes, so they can be bolted to a wall or shelf. Could you attach a grounding wire like a battery cable to a bolt?
            Morg - Again, same as I told Schneb, I'm not an expert but to the best of my understanding I'm not sure the tape would work but only due to the adhesive preventing metal on metal contact. Also with the heavy paint on the safe I'm not sure that would allow proper contact. Might be better off sanding the paint from the edge of the door and door frame, then when you close it roll up pieces of aluminum foil into small tubes then use that and a putty knife to push it into the gap like a metal gasket. Might do that on the other holes in the box.

As to grounding, maybe a basement, garage or undersink cabinet where you could attach a wire from the box to copper water pipe? Assuming your pipes aren't PEX or PVC otherwise mayb you can run a wire from your power box ground? I'm no electrician so proceed with caution. I know enough about electricity to get myself zapped.

Another thing I've read several places that's been suggested as a "poor man's" faraday is to buy an old school galvanized trash can and lid. then similarly, once filled and with a strap connecting can to lid, stuff foil up into the gap to "seal" the container.
            Last edited by CountryGuy; 01-15-2018, 10:59 AM.
            I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

I don't know about you guys, I kind of like the idea of all my electronics burning out. Hehhe.

-Buggy
              I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post

There you go Schneb - one persons junk is another's treasure/ faraday cage... lol

I'm not sure how far things would need to be off the surface but maybe something like a shallow plastic tray (say 2-3" high) flipped upside down could be used as a shelf off the bottom of the drawer floor? Or like you said a few inches of Styrofoam might do it. Maybe even line that with some old mylar ballons or food bag material. I'm thinking something like a Styrofoam cooler lined on the insides and top to creat sort of a double protection.

I've not heavily investigated faraday's work or the cages named after him but I know there is actual scientific data out there on them, beware of the conjecture and arm chair scientists in the Prepper community. I'm sure a little homework on the web or a few books from Amazon/ Kindle can provide a lot of info. I think a lot of the "info" out there floating around our prepper communities is all or partially wrong so take everything with a grain of salt; including what I'm saying as it's based on limited investigation.

Morg - Again, same as I told Schneb, I'm not an expert but to the best of my understanding I'm not sure the tape would work but only due to the adhesive preventing metal on metal contact. Also with the heavy paint on the safe I'm not sure that would allow proper contact. Might be better off sanding the paint from the edge of the door and door frame, then when you close it roll up pieces of aluminum foil into small tubes then use that and a putty knife to push it into the gap like a metal gasket. Might do that on the other holes in the box.

As to grounding, maybe a basement, garage or undersink cabinet where you could attach a wire from the box to copper water pipe? Assuming your pipes aren't PEX or PVC otherwise mayb you can run a wire from your power box ground? I'm no electrician so proceed with caution. I know enough about electricity to get myself zapped.

Another thing I've read several places that's been suggested as a "poor man's" faraday is to buy an old school galvanized trash can and lid. then similarly, once filled and with a strap connecting can to lid, stuff foil up into the gap to "seal" the container.

in regard to using tin foil to combat an intentional EMP attack against the hardened US military - like shooting at armor vehicles with a .22 rifle .... NORAD moved back into Cheyenne Mountain because of the new EMP threat - spent $$$ BILLIONS $$$$ revamping that old electronics hardening against the new enhanced EMP weapons ... you want solid steel for your Faraday cage ...

and something that's never discussed - even by the so-called EMP/Faraday cage experts - your Faraday cage needs to be reusable and able to be quikly utilized .... either a CMT or EMP will have numerous & numerous after bursts - use of the protected electronics will be a use & scoot deal .... can't be relying on re-using stuff like layers of foil and tape ....

Comment

I talked about this on another thread. EMP experts have a scientific formula designed to put a value (Db) to the strength. Most EMP proof bags rate around 40 Db. But according to EMP experts, a War time EMP blast will be at or above 80 Db. So your single EMP bag will NOT protect your devices.

So what do you do?

A. Get EMP proof bags that are at least 7 mm think.any thinner you risk putting a hole through it.

B. To get to 80 Db you will need two or three bags one side another.

C. Any EMP will come in three waves. Each so close behind the other you will not know it happened.

What to expect.

A. All power equipment stops working: Including lights, A/C, machines, Communications, most vehicles, etc.

B. If the GRID goes down and cannot be repaired, it will take years before you get any power back.

C. Within days about 7 percent of the population will be dead. Did I forget to mention pace makers and other devices.

D. Within 30 days over 10 million will be dead do to the lack of fresh water, food, and health care services.

E. Talking about Health care services there will be outbreaks of typhoid,and other disaster diseases. Mostly from bad water.

Comment

Working...
                  X