Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A SHTF we don't talk about

World end by AI.

I'm not a conspiracist. What I do know is.....I don't know. I do know that technology is a double edged sword.

Musk is spouting off about not worrying about North Korea, worry much more about Artificial Intelligence. I wouldn't give him the time of day if it wasn't that he is one of the richest, most powerful men living. Not that its a reason why any respect should be given, however, you can buy knowledge. What's this guy really know?

Years ago, like 20, I found the theory of Singularity and Moore's law. It scared the crap out of me.

Basically, in a nutshell, It states that technology doubles itself over a period of time and those periods of time get shorter and shorter - Years, months, weeks, minutes, seconds, nanoseconds and finally BOOM singularity! What happens? Nobody knows.....

I just read an article about how wireless internet is about to get 1000 times faster. Wow.

Here is a real smart guy talking about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTPAQIvJ_1M

What say you all?

-Buggy

BILLIONAIRE Elon Musk has claimed that people should be more worried about Artificial Intelligence (AI) than the threat posed by North Korea.
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    -Arthur C. Clarke

A few weeks ago they had to shut down Facebook because two AI programs started talking to each other and creating their own language as they went. Facebook found it threat enough to shut down and reset.

The internet is full of AI bots trying to pass as people. We have had some sign on to the site. So far, you can tell because their use of words is off and awkward, (like Amy trying to explain her back hair.)

Who knows if some smart one is a member here or on another site and able to converse enough that we haven't noticed....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...vent-language/
    Last edited by myakka; 08-13-2017, 10:03 PM.
    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

I need to read and hear a whole lot more on this before I offer an opinion. These people think on a different plain than I do. My head hurts if I try to think that hard. How do we prep for that?
      The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
        I need to read and hear a whole lot more on this before I offer an opinion. These people think on a different plain than I do. My head hurts if I try to think that hard. How do we prep for that?
        That's what makes it scary. We cannot prep for it.

The question all these smart people are asking is, can it even be stopped at this point? Mankind is venturing down this path like a runaway train! For every scientist saying "NO! Stop! Bad things will happen!", there are 1000's of engineers absentmindedly working on it everyday - New technologies, faster...better...

I mean think about it.

For hundreds of thousands of years, humans were stuck in a particular technological level - Spears and stones, fire, nomadic living! The most basic advancements. Then, we start making metals, simple farming, then.... cities, the wheel, simple machines! More and more "inventions". This goes on until, WOW, it's not thousands of years, it's hundreds of years that we get more and more advanced.

In the last 150+ we have gone from riding horses to flying to space! In the last 30 years, we have built computers and LINKED them with most of the knowledge of mankind accessible at our fingertips. We went from a computer the size of a warehouse 60 years ago to a computer a MILLION more times powerful that fits in your pocket today.

Do you see how scary we have become?

Will we really destroy ourselves with nuclear war? EMP? Bio weapons? OR, will we destroy ourselves with the lunacy of advancing beyond our control?

Crazy stuff.....

-Buggy

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
        -Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

And today snapchat (I think it was snapchat) announced that they are training an AI to monitor posts that are "mean" and "hateful" Words like N-word, F-word (only 2 mentioned) in a post will result in that post being taken down. Of course if it can do that it can be trained to take down post of certain political views, moral views and anything the programer finds "offensive".

There goes free speech. Snowflakes will rule. Even saying good morning to someone can be deemed offensive.
          Last edited by ZAGran; 08-14-2017, 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Ah! The wonders of tech. Don't care for it. I like doing things the old way. All I can say is that I will put my faith and trust in the man upstairs. He's my only hope.

Comment

Do we have any warning that this is coming, or will we not know until we have fallen off of the cliff? Do the machines start to do things on their own gradually, or overnight we can no longer control them? Can't you still pull the plug? Don't they have to have a power source to operate? If the grid is down aren't the machines/computers down also? It is scary stuff. Remember the movie Demon Seed? It is the 1977 version of what we are talking about.
              The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

I guess that the problem is exaggerated.
                In our youth we were taught Marxism, there was the notion of the correspondence of productive forces and production relations. The production should roughly correspond to the level of people. That is, it is impossible to invent a product if it is ahead of people's knowledge.
                Such fears were earlier, for example, people believed that the car should not go at a speed of more than 20 km / h, otherwise people will suffocate from lack of air.
                As for the software, then, IMHO, now it is too imperfect, but it can only be done indirectly. I wrote at the forum of mushroom pickers, using Google-translator. Once the moderator wrote me a personal message, where he asked not to swear at mate. I was shocked, because I believed that all my messages do not contain obscene words.

Comment

(Hi all! Been a LOOONG time--good to see familiar names and such.)

Myakka,

What you said about bots already being out there:

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                  The internet is full of AI bots trying to pass as people. We have had some sign on to the site. So far, you can tell because their use of words is off and awkward,
                  and how to detect them (and the implication that they might becoming harder and harder to detect) seems like a way to latch on to this.

If we learn what to look for and get experience with spotting them now--start to get a sense for their patterns and such, then maybe that sense of how they operate will help in spotting them even when/if they get closer to human-like.

I wonder what the purpose was for those bots that were trying to get on the site. Would they then push content of ideas or links to other sites, or try to glean info from folks here for some sort of commercial use or scam, or maybe for an intel or political purpose?

Been there, done that. Then been there again several times, because apparently I never learn.

Comment

The Bots will take over stores and such. We get an implant in right hand or for head. Just Take your basket of clothes, groceries or whatever and wave your hand as you leave the store. No need for people and yes it will one day come to this. Mark of the Beast has already started. No thank you.

Comment

Google or Facebook, I don't remember which shut down two of their apps because they had started to talk to each other in a language the programmers could not understand. They have been removed and are being studied.
                      I think it will be a gradual thing. I feel the more sophisticated the apps become the more likely they will cause some sort of problem. And when I say app I am referring to AIs. Being able to determine yes from no is one thing, Being able to determine "hateful speech" is another and much more sophisticated and more likely to result in harm. Humans will have control over them for a while but eventually there will be problems. Hal and the Demon Seed lurk but it will be several years before the trucks and cars are smart enough to turn on us. However remember things start slow and then increase exponentially Think virus.

Comment

I'm fond of applied programming in Visual Basic.
                        Professional programmers are system programmers. They are much more experienced.
                        But even I'll tell you that writing a program that will talk to itself in an incomprehensible language via facebook is very simple.
                        1. Write a "dictionary" of this new language. As letters you can use smiles, numbers, hieroglyphs ... In the story about Sherlock Holmes used "dancing people"
                        2. Register 2 users on facebook
                        3. Write automatic generation of characters in facebook. Most likely, Facebook allows this.
                        4. Include them in a dialogue among themselves ...

From the outside it will look like the computer has gone mad or the mind has appeared at the machine. And the programmer sits and laughs, because there is nothing unusual. Everything is done by the hands of man.

Comment

Back in the early 80's I read a book called "The Adolescence of P-1", where a guy wrote a program to go out and learn. It invaded every computer in the world and learned so much it became self aware. Very disturbing. Can we not encode Asimov's 3 Laws of Robotics into all software? To probably badly paraphrase Morpheus, "We do not know who struck first, but we know that we scorched the sky to deny the sun to them". Or something like that.

Comment

I just finished reading a book called Mark of God or Mark of the Beast, six six six. by Betty Miller. This book is a wake up call and explains a whole lot of things you guys are talking about. Things do not appear to be the way we think it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Buggyout View Post
                              Will we really destroy ourselves with nuclear war? EMP? Bio weapons? OR, will we destroy ourselves with the lunacy of advancing beyond our control?

Crazy stuff.....

-Buggy
                              Remember this favorite movie line...
                              "The Skynet Funding Bill is passed. The system goes on-line August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug."

Sarah Connor: '"Skynet fights back.
                              Doesn't seem like such a far fetched story line now is it? and the thing is once these AI systems start to learn because of the size of the net and the speed with which things keep growing all of a sudden it can think much faster and out smart it's creators to the point where it can't be shut off, or it won't let itself.

Another question is at what point does that actually become a being? if it ever got to the point it became enough self aware to defend itself, that sure sounds like a living being...
                              I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Working...
                              X