Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if tshtf and you where at work how many would be ready?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niki09
    replied
    work...

I work at home :) yes I am a SAHM :)
    Jax goes to pre-school about 10 mins from here which was as close as I could get him, and Robs works and schools 10 mins from here as well. So hopefully all would be well.

Leave a comment:

• Colt45guy
    replied
    I work in the downtown area of a large city 40 miles away. Traffic in/out is always pretty bad, and it often takes an hour or more to commute. I've made it a point to know ALL the back roads to and from. If I can get to the city limits, it's all gravy. I have a 4x4, CB, cell phone, GPS, and several detailed maps of the outlying area (just in case I have to swing further outside the area than expected) The gas tank is never less than half full.

I keep a well equipped BOB, med kit, and a rifle/ammo in my truck....you'd be surprised at how much you can discreetly stash behind the seat of a regular cab p/u.

I have a CCW permit, and carrying a handgun has been part of my daily routine since 'round about 1994.....I haven't been unarmed a single day in well over a decade.

I started keeping the rifle handy when it became clear that BHO was a contender for POTUS--since the area I work in is predominantly ethnic, I have a feeling that if anything were to happen to Dear Leader--especially an assassination attempt--a full scale race riot would ensue. The primary SHTF scenario is a bad hurricane, but we get plenty of warning about those---I just won't be here. The secondary scenario around here (IMO) would be racial violence.

Some people say I'm paranoid, but I don't particularly care. I flat out refuse to be the next Reginald Denny. I don't discuss my vehicle contents with coworkers, I'm just another country boy with a pickemup truck. (no political, RKBA or NRA stickers--I don't believe in advertising what my vehicle may or may not contain)

To the original question: I know that I don't have everything I may need at the office--my only real useful tools will be a pocket knife and a Zippo.....but if I can get the 100 yards to the parking lot, my chances of getting home get exponentially better......I've got everything but a cop and a medic:D

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned, it's a good idea to test your GHB and gear.....I know that I have a minimum of 40 miles to get home, and the first GHB I put together was too heavy to tote. I found out that 20-25 lbs is about the max weight I'd want to lug those kind of distances and still be able to run if necessary. (I recently hiked 30 miles in just over 12 hrs with a 30 lb pack....felt it for a week, but it's do-able.)

I ain't as young as I used to be:(

Leave a comment:

• barkingowl
    replied
    I work from home so everything is within grasp. When I do need to go out on calls & visit clients & I have my carry piece on me with a spare magazine. But as far as a BOB is concerned I don't have one. :(

Leave a comment:

• gkim4107
    replied
    Well, I am in the middle of downtown, but have a vending machine source as well. The car, would be hard to get out of downtown, assuming it is running depending on the scenario. If I had to hump it out of there, it would be through the shittiest part of the city, and would not be too fun. Wear a gun belt to work every day, so no worries there.
    The wife depending on the day works approximately 17 miles away from home, and depending on her location, depends on what all I need to do.

Leave a comment:

• cwconnertx
    replied
    Originally posted by Trapper View Post
    here take a look at this it might help www.kel-tec-cnc.com they have a line of folding carbines and even a 22
    I am familiar with their work, I have a p32 as my backup gun.

I wasn't really thinking of that, it might be a decent solution. But i would still have to transport the locking case and all.. hmmm still thinking

Leave a comment:

• Trapper
    replied
    here take a look at this it might help www.kel-tec-cnc.com they have a line of folding carbines and even a 22
    Last edited by Trapper; 02-11-2009, 01:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cwconnertx
    replied
    I guess I worry more about if I was out of town on business and it was far enough that I flew.

If I drive, i keep a pack in the trunk, a rifle, and always have several handguns in the passenger compartment where legal.

When i fly however, there are many items that just can't go, I always take a flashlight, my leatherman, lighter, medications, cash, and where allowed a concealed handgun on my person at almost all times.
    Even when i can't carry I bring a couple of handguns with me. But I also bring a small first aid kit and my water filter, along with appropriate outdoor clothes, even if i don't expect to be outdoors. People have asked why I bring boots to a business conference. My answer is they look better with the jeans for the night activities.
    I've seriously begun thinking about taking a rifle also. I always take my 1911 with me, because it is the best long range handgun I have. I can make torso hits at 100 yards offhand, and headshots at 25, but that is with still targets at a range. A rifle is just a better weapon, but it does take up a lot of room in the bag.

Anybody travel by air and take weapons rountinely or have a thought on the matter?

Leave a comment:

• Visinedrops
    replied
    Originally posted by Zombie Axe View Post
    Good idea... but after a bad motorcycle wreck, I realize I am not as invincible as I once thought I was, so 2 wheeled powered scooters are off the table for me :(

I'll take a slow boat to China these days ;)
    My step father was t-boned on a motorcycle in the early 80's, which shattered his lower leg, he now has a metal plate, several screws, and a bunch of other parts in his leg.

At one time I owned an old Honda scooter, and after a couple hours convincing him to ride it, he finally did...about 1/4 mile round trip. After returning, he handed me back the helmet with shaky hands and said, "It was fun, and I thank you, but I'm still not ready to ride one very far." So I can understand exactly what you mean.

Leave a comment:

• Zombie Axe
    replied
    Originally posted by Diesel View Post
    why not upgrade the bike in storage to a scooter, that will cut your time down signifigantly
    Good idea... but after a bad motorcycle wreck, I realize I am not as invincible as I once thought I was, so 2 wheeled powered scooters are off the table for me :(

I'll take a slow boat to China these days ;)

Leave a comment:

• TheUnboundOne
    replied
    I'm about 15 minutes from work if I drive safe. I have two routes to and from work and could easily go North, South, or West if I had to retreat. (Where I would go would depend on the threat.) Since Downtown Gastonia and Charlotte are East and are most likely where disaster would hit, it would probably make little sense to go East.

My BOB/GHB/INCH Bag is in the truck, along with three days of clothes, a tool box, three days of bottled water, my CB Radio, and auto maintenance/emergency supplies. I'm pretty well ready as I'll ever be, though I probably do need to streamline my gear to pare off excess weight and make more room.

Leave a comment:

• TLM
    replied
    Originally posted by The One View Post
    I unfortunately work all over the state of NC some days I might up to 4hrs from home other days I might be less than a mile from home. My wife works 25-30 min away from home and we currently have no children so we are lucky in that aspect. Down side I drive a company vehicle that can be inspected by any mgmt of our company at any time in any office, also I enter and exit many bases around NC that require vehicle inspections , so I don't carry any type of sealed bag, packs etc that could cause confusion or a mess for me to clean up.

It sounds like I am out of luck all the way around.:(
    I have a small fanny pack with me in our company car.
    It's not a full blown survival pack but I could get by pretty good with it.
    No firearms. Lots of useful stuff though.
    I work for a chemical company and they are super safety concious,
    if someone found it, I'd just say it was for safety purposes.
    Nobody would question it any further.

Leave a comment:

• The One
    replied
    Long way away

I unfortunately work all over the state of NC some days I might up to 4hrs from home other days I might be less than a mile from home. My wife works 25-30 min away from home and we currently have no children so we are lucky in that aspect. Down side I drive a company vehicle that can be inspected by any mgmt of our company at any time in any office, also I enter and exit many bases around NC that require vehicle inspections , so I don't carry any type of sealed bag, packs etc that could cause confusion or a mess for me to clean up.

It sounds like I am out of luck all the way around.:(

Leave a comment:

• open2think
    replied
    I agree

Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
    You're either in a real good spot, or a real bad one, depending on the scenario.....

Exactly what I was thinking.....

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    what are ya kidding me

Originally posted by Brosia View Post
    45 second drive to my job, 3 minute walk. Probably a 10 minute run, as I'd have to stop and gasp for air for a while.:rolleyes:
    lets see work at home son 10 minutes to school daughter 5 minutes to school wife works at hospital in downtown cola jeep always ready 4 4 wheelers always gassed and ready bol is fifteen minutes from here and as for the quote GET YOUR SELF OUT AND START RUNNING YOUR NO GOOD TO US DEAD

Leave a comment:

• TheLastMountainMan
    replied
    22 miles home, have a old ugly 4x4 truck and theres no issue about making it uglier on the way home. My son goes to school 1/2 block away, but my daughter is about 5 miles away. wife stays at home. My gear is always in the truck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X