X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Originally posted by Dracos View Post
    I understand your drift. But it had started about a beauty pagent. Why should you have an ugly gun? My AK is absolutly gorgeous. Every time in the last two decades when I pulled the trigger, it sent a bullet down the tube.
    Exactly as it should be.....form and function.....but function first.....AR designers have forgotten this, IMO.....

Leave a comment:

• Dracos
    replied
    I understand your drift. But it had started about a beauty pagent. Why should you have an ugly gun? My AK is absolutly gorgeous. Every time in the last two decades when I pulled the trigger, it sent a bullet down the tube.

Leave a comment:

• kenno
    replied
    A bit of factual background

I've nearly finished reading "Al Qaida's Jihad in Europe" by Evan F. Kohlmann
    this is essentialy the history of Al Quida in Bosnia from 1992 onward with some interesting insights into thier battle tactics and battle casualities.
    The Arabs longed to die in battle and were really chuffed when they did not die quickly. This longing to die in Jihad made them excelent storm troops in 'human wave assualts' against fortified positions. Al Qaida also had the well deserved reputation of skining alive/mutalating/beheading captives. By 1993 there were 1000 Al Qaidas in Bosnia operating as an independant command, thier opponents usually retreated from them once the first line was broken,
    Al Qaida's casualitys broke down thus:
    #1 Artilary
    #2 Sniper Fire
    #3 Heavy MG fire
    #4 Light Weapons Fire (AK 47)
    #5 Land Mines
    Indeed, sniper fire was perhaps the defining tactic in the Bosnian conflict and used to great effect in all theaters. The Mujhadeen leadership suffered repeated loses due to sniper fire and this was compounded when a fighter would fall and several other Muj's would try to retreive the body, at times this tactic would claim 3 additional fighters.
    Last edited by kenno; 10-16-2009, 07:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cwconnertx
    replied
    Cdnn has good prices on factory mags with no wait. the have the more rare 30 rounders. I have at least 20 factory 20 rounds mags so I'm working on getting more 30 rounders myself.

Ruger has decent prices on factory mags, but they take a few weeks to ship (I ordered several times and always got my order within 3 weeks even when they say backordered)

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    I don't plan on hunting with this rifle.....nothingfour legged, anyway....It will serve as a primary engagement platform....
    As far as the mags go....The Fort Smith gun show starts tomorrow, and I'll check it out for reasonable ammo and mag prices.....any requests? PM me if you want me to shop for you....

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    being from south carolina standard deer rifle is a 30/06 but a 223 is a wonderful caliber as well i want the 556 for the reason being more more access to ammo and you can shoot higher volumes of ammo versus a 30/06 deer rifle wich would seize much quicker due to the type of weapon

Leave a comment:

• cwconnertx
    replied
    Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
    Having been deployed recently on a short jaunt around the world, I've finally come to respect, and indeed, covet one particular autoloading longarm......I was issued a Ruger Mini 14 in .223, selective fire, with Tapco tactical upgrades, among other furniture....qualifying with this rig was awesome (I've a serious dislike for the AR, AK and SKS platforms), having never fondled one before....

I just acquired one today, and will be outfitting it to match my previous issue weapon to the closest legal level, and I must say, I am finally (with singularity, so far) a semi-auto rifle fan.....to both my and my colleagues' surprise...
    Get a lot of factory magazines. I like the mini (I like the AR and SKS too). The mini just reminds me of the M1 Garand I love so much. My mini has been rock solid reliable with factory 20 round magazines, no matter what ammo I fed it.

I like it so much I am currently lusting after a select fire AC556.

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Having been deployed recently on a short jaunt around the world, I've finally come to respect, and indeed, covet one particular autoloading longarm......I was issued a Ruger Mini 14 in .223, selective fire, with Tapco tactical upgrades, among other furniture....qualifying with this rig was awesome (I've a serious dislike for the AR, AK and SKS platforms), having never fondled one before....

I just acquired one today, and will be outfitting it to match my previous issue weapon to the closest legal level, and I must say, I am finally (with singularity, so far) a semi-auto rifle fan.....to both my and my colleagues' surprise...

Leave a comment:

• txrebel10
    replied
    With the stuff on the news,,,it might be more like 25%

Leave a comment:

• txrebel10
    replied
    Very well said,with the 99.9% that operate there guns in a manner that they where made for that 1% screws it up,,,,,,txrebel

Leave a comment:

• RossA
    replied
    To me, with any gun, it's all about PURPOSE. No gun is a true "all purpose" tool. I, too, have a scoped .30-06 that is a great long range weapon. However, I live in the city and if the zombies ever start prowling, I will first reach for a short barrelled 12 guage, or maybe my M1 Carbine or SKS. Those aren't 500 yard weapons, but I can't think of why I would want or need a long range weapon in my neighborhood under street riot situations.
    Now, if I lived out in the country, and I had a long, clear space to see armed intruders hundreds of yards before they got to my house, I might reach for my .30-06.
    A gun is a tool like everything else. Every tool is designed with a purpose. Sometimes out of necessity we use a tool for a purpose it really wasn't designed for, but it's always best to use each tool for the purpose it best fits.

Leave a comment:

• Bayou Blaster
    replied
    Originally posted by txrebel10 View Post
    I think some of you have took this out of contexted,#1- the nuts statement was addressed to florida as they sprayed down a croud,,We can debate this for ever,as we already have enough politics with our lives its sad that we should find time to deal with this[bayou I would hope that we can get past this and do more positive things for the group],,#1- as we all know!! nobody knows whos who,if the shit happened tomorrow as far as this group it be screwed,,as it is time to start to understand the areas and hear the the new members of the group,,,,,IS it really posiblly to get along with peeps you have ever seen if something was to happen??? Trust?? RB
    All good here. No ill will. Your statement appeared very vaque and generalized, so some of us may have taken it out of context. You are right in that nobody knows who's who for sure if the SHTF. People we think we can trust may very well be the first to stab us in the back. We got to keep the faith/trust in our God and Family and extend a helping hand as you did with that edlerly couple; the fruits of your labor and that relationship has rewarded you with not just a fine firearm but with a sense of helping your fellow man. We all need to help our fellow man and neighbor to build stronger secured relationships to help us all get through with what tommorrow may bring. In helping the peeps you really help yourself; you have seen that already. Again my best to you and God Bless.

Leave a comment:

• txrebel10
    replied
    I think some of you have took this out of contexted,#1- the nuts statement was addressed to florida as they sprayed down a croud,,We can debate this for ever,as we already have enough politics with our lives its sad that we should find time to deal with this[bayou I would hope that we can get past this and do more positive things for the group],,#1- as we all know!! nobody knows whos who,if the shit happened tomorrow as far as this group it be screwed,,as it is time to start to understand the areas and hear the the new members of the group,,,,,IS it really posiblly to get along with peeps you have ever seen if something was to happen??? Trust?? RB

Leave a comment:

• Bayou Blaster
    replied
    [QUOTE=txrebel10;10282]With all the attention with these rifles!! They serve no purpose to me,give me my deer rifles[some consider sniper]and iam fine,with the nuts that play with these and only stricken the laws,tighten the ammo,only at short distance they have no use at long but we all suffer...Ive explained to my kiddo's that the wize man said he who has 1000 bullets across the stream cant match the man that has a long rifle with one.....Txrebel

Please don't take this the wrong way; I am in NO way trying to be offensive.

Your hunting rifle is just that no more no less. Do you target people at long distances with it? No! Do you kill people with it at long distances? No! As with most modern hunting/sporting firearms your hunting rifle owes its heritage to some degree on the battle rifles of long ago. Should the gun fearing liberals also ban your hunting rifle and that 03 A3? Certainly not. So it's a hunting rifle; let's leave it at that.

SKS rifles and Mini-14/30 rifles are classified as sporting rifles/firearms. They are not selective fire assualt weapons. I know you did not use the term Assualt Rifle, but I'm thinking maybe that is what you were implying? SKSs, Mini 14-30 rifles are used every day here in heavily wooded areas to hunt game where many hunting rifles are overkill. I use to sell many a high powered rifle to individuals that thought they needed something bigger, more punch. more far reaching for this area. In my opinion they were trying to compensate for poor marksmanship. Granted there are areas of this great country where you would need such a firearm. I've been told one too many times that I was undergunned while using a .308 remington while hunting in Arizona. Can you believe that? Took my deer there with it. One clean accurate shot.

Now to the AK . The majority of these firearms sold in the U.S. have been rendered to the sporting classification as outlined by ATF guidlines. That is they are not selective fire/full auto assualt weapons. Many like they imported Saiga rifles are used in Tx for hog hunting. SKSs, Mini 14-30s and AKS FIREARMS are not in anyway taking away or contributing to the loss of bolt action hunting ammuniton. Ammunition manufactures simply refocused their production efforts towards military ammunition. This as to replenish diminished stock piles cause by the Clinton administration reducing military stockpiles and the Iraq and Afganistan Wars.

As far as stricter gun laws we have them already they just aren't being enforced they way that they should be. As far as protecting my loved ones from a home invasion god forbid, I'm not running to my hunting rifle where over penetration can possibly harm or kill some unintented person. I'm grabbing my whimpy Kimber 45 ACP or CZ 9mm. And god forbid I ever have to deal with looters/rioters; again I'm not running to my limited capacity bolt action rifle. My love ones deserve the best protection I can provide them while I wait the ever how long enternity for law enforcement should they ever get there in time. On average they never get there in time. You can't sustain any kind of defensive fire with a common hunting rifle. Sure I probably won't shoot or care to shoot somone across a stream. That's not defensive fire/prepardness that's murder. Sorry I'm a god and country loving law abiding citizen.

Now about the "nuts that play with these statement". That is a too generalized and defeating a statement to make. That statement plays right into those gun hating/fearing liberals that would love nothing better than to take ALL our firearms/protection away. Sure there are those that have used firearms to commit crimes. But hay lets look at that hunting rifle again; should we take them away because there are some nut jobs out there that have used then to commit murder. Certainly not! Thats like saying we can't own kitchen knives cause they might be used to commit a crime.

The majority of these "nuts that play with these" are sane law abiding god and country loving citizens: Doctors, Nurses, Lawyers, Prosecuting Attorneys, Judges, Law Enforment Officers, Firemen, Military and Veterans that have a particular affinity for these firearms that unless you were one of us, you may not understand, Target Shooters, AVID HUNTERS alike and the list goes on and on. How do I know this? because 99.999 percent of my customers were just like you and me. And for that .001 percent? That's what law enforcement and the 99.999 percent are for.

Sorry for venting but you unknowingly yanked my chain. We need to be smart/together on responsible gun ownership, civil protection and parepardness and not devisive on these issues.

Lastly congrats on that 03 A3 own a pristine Smith Corona myself. Thank you for helping the elderly; we will all be there one day. Thank you for properly mentoring your kids. I wish you and your's the very best. God Bless.
    Last edited by Bayou Blaster; 01-31-2009, 10:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• txrebel10
    replied
    1903 03-a3

A very kind women that Ive done alot of work for her and her husband before he past gave me a 03-A3 just for being me,,,I've got to tell you this is the most stright shooting rifle ive ever owned,,300 yd,5in pat...its a oldy but still packs the punch!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X